3d rotation of accelerometer vectors

In summary, there is a method for rotating accelerometer vector data using a set of normalized vectors. This involves expressing the rotations in a Cartesian standard frame and using matrix multiplication. More information can be found on Wikipedia.
IMK
Hello,

I have some accelerometer vector data A (3d vectors x,y,z ) than I have normalized so I guess they are unit vectors. Now what I what to do is to 3d rotate them by another set of normalized accelerometer vector data B so I get a third set of vectors D.

I have tried a simple vector subtraction but this does not seem to work, so can you tell me please what math method I should be using for the please?

Is it Euler angles, Cartesian etc etc.

A method of how to do it would be wonderful, and I know this is not a programming forum but if anyone knows of some c/c++ source for this is would be great.
Many thanks IMK

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what you mean by a rotation by three vectors. I assume a rotation along one axis, then another and finally a third one. Express these three rotations in an Cartesian standard frame: an orthonormal system ##x,y,z##. Then build a matrix ##A## with your initial vectors as columns. One rotation is then a matrix multiplication from the left with a rotation matrix ##R_i##. The result is then ##R_3R_2R_1A##.

The first step, expressing your rotations in an ##x,y,z## frame is, because rotations along these axis are especially easy. You can look them up on Wikipedia for instance.

Related to 3d rotation of accelerometer vectors

1. What is 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors?

3D rotation of accelerometer vectors refers to the process of calculating the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space using data from accelerometers. This involves tracking the changes in acceleration in three perpendicular directions (x, y, and z) and using mathematical algorithms to determine the object's orientation.

2. Why is 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors important?

3D rotation of accelerometer vectors is important because it allows us to accurately measure and track the movement and orientation of objects in three-dimensional space. This is particularly useful in fields such as robotics, motion tracking, and virtual reality, where precise orientation data is necessary for accurate performance.

3. How does 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors work?

3D rotation of accelerometer vectors works by using the data from three accelerometers, each measuring acceleration in a different direction, to calculate the object's orientation in three-dimensional space. This is typically done using mathematical algorithms such as quaternions or Euler angles.

4. What types of devices use 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors?

Many different types of devices use 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors, including smartphones, tablets, game controllers, drones, and fitness trackers. Any device that needs to track its orientation in three-dimensional space may utilize this technology.

5. Are there any limitations to 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors?

Yes, there are some limitations to 3D rotation of accelerometer vectors. The accuracy of the orientation data can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields or vibrations, and the calculations may also be affected by sensor drift over time. Additionally, some types of motion, such as rotating around multiple axes simultaneously, may be difficult to accurately measure with accelerometers alone.