3D Quantum HO in momentum space

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem in momentum space where he converted from position to momentum space. He found that if he solved the energy eigenvalue problem, the results would be the same as if he solved the problem in x-space.
frogjg2003

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove that the Harmonic oscillator wave function doesn't change (except a phase factor) when I convert from position to momentum space.
[itex]\Phi_{nlm}(\vec p)=(-i)^{2n+l}\Psi_{nlm}(\vec p)[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi_{nlm}(\vec p)=\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\int d^3r e^{-i \vec p\cdot\vec r}\Psi_{lmn}(\vec r)[/itex]
[itex]\Psi_{nlm}(\vec r)=N_{nl} \alpha^{3/2} e^{-(\alpha r)^2/2} L^{l+\frac{1}{2}}_n((\alpha r)^2) R_{lm}(\alpha\vec r)[/itex]
in natural units and α is in GeV. [itex]L_n^{l+\frac{1}{2}}(x^2)[/itex] is the associated Laguerre polynomials, [itex]R_{lm}(\vec r)=\sqrt{\frac{4\pi}{2l+1}} r^lY_{lm}(\hat r)[/itex] and Nnl is a normalization constant. I'm leaving α out of Nnl because I want to keep track of it for later calculations.
[itex]R_{lm}(\vec x+\vec a)=\sum_{\lambda=0}^l \sum_{\mu=-\lambda}^\lambda \sqrt{\binom{l+m}{\lambda+\mu}\binom{l-m}{\lambda-\mu}} R_{lm}(\vec x) R_{(l-\lambda) (m-\mu)}(\vec a)[/itex]
[itex]R_{lm}(a\vec x)=a^lR_{lm}(\vec x)[/itex]
All integrals are over all space, i.e.
[itex]\int d^3 r=\int_0^\infty dr \int_0^\pi r d\theta \int_0^{2\pi} r\sin{\theta} d\phi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The end result should be [itex]\Phi_{lmn}(\vec p)=(-i)^{2n+l} N_{nl} \alpha^{-3/2} e^{-(p/\alpha)^2/2} L^{l+\frac{1}{2}}_n((\frac{p}{\alpha})^2) R_{lm}(\frac{\vec p}{\alpha})[/itex]

I've managed to manipulate it into
[itex]\Phi_{nlm}=\frac{N_{nl}}{(2\pi\alpha)^{3/2}} e^{-q^2/2}\int d^3 x e^{-(\vec x+i \vec q)^2/2} L^{l+\frac{1}{2}}_n(x^2) R_{lm}(\vec x)[/itex]
where [itex]x=\alpha r[/itex] and [itex]q=\frac{p}{\alpha}[/itex]. I want to further transform it to [itex]\vec y=\vec x-i\vec q[/itex] and integrate over y.
I can't figure out if the differential volume element changes, i.e. if I can just write it as
[itex]\Phi_{nlm}=\frac{N_{nl}}{(2\pi\alpha)^{3/2}} e^{-q^2/2}\int d^3 y e^{-y^2/2} L^{l+\frac{1}{2}}_n((\vec y-i\vec q)^2) R_{lm}(\vec y-i\vec q)[/itex]

Assuming I could, I continued and managed to get it into the relatively simple form of
[itex]\Phi_{nlm}=\frac{N_{nl}}{(2\pi\alpha)^{3/2}} e^{-q^2/2}\sum_{\lambda=0}^l\sum_{\mu=-\lambda}^\lambda \sqrt{\frac{4\pi}{2\lambda+1}\binom{l+m}{\lambda+\mu}\binom{l-m}{\lambda-\mu}} (-i)^l R_{(l-\lambda)(m-\mu)}\int d^3y e^{-y^2/2} L^{l+\frac{1}{2}}_n((\vec y-i\vec q)^2) y^\lambda Y_{\lambda\mu}(\hat y)[/itex]

For n=0, [itex]L_n^{l+\frac{1}{2}}(x)=1[/itex], so it was trivial to show it was correct. For n=1, I can't get the cross term in [itex]y^2-2i\vec y\cdot \vec q-q^2[/itex] to disappear and it leaves [itex]\delta_{\lambda1}[/itex] terms I can't seem to get rid of.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that it's not necessary to play about with all the special functions to see this.

If you write out the time-independent Schrodinger equation in p-space, you'll find that it looks exactly the same as it does in x-space, with some annoying factors of [itex]m[/itex], [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\hbar[/itex] shuffled around. So when you solve the energy eigenvalue problem in p-space, you're basically doing exactly the same math as you would be in x-space, and the answers will be of the same form.

It all comes about because of the x-p symmetry of the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian. That Hamiltonian, roughly speaking, can't tell the difference between x and p.

True, but that's the undergrad method. I want to be able to transform wavefunctions that aren't the same in both spaces, and this would is a very good test case.

Related to 3D Quantum HO in momentum space

1. What is "3D Quantum HO in momentum space"?

"3D Quantum HO in momentum space" is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior and properties of a three-dimensional harmonic oscillator in terms of momentum coordinates.

2. How is "3D Quantum HO in momentum space" different from the traditional 3D harmonic oscillator model?

In the traditional 3D harmonic oscillator model, the behavior and properties of the system are described in terms of position coordinates. In contrast, "3D Quantum HO in momentum space" describes the system in terms of momentum coordinates, providing a different perspective and understanding of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using "3D Quantum HO in momentum space" in scientific research?

Using "3D Quantum HO in momentum space" allows for a more accurate and complete description of the system, as it takes into account the uncertainty principle and other quantum effects. This can lead to better predictions and explanations of experimental results.

4. Are there any limitations to using "3D Quantum HO in momentum space"?

One limitation is that it may be more mathematically complex and difficult to work with compared to the traditional 3D harmonic oscillator model. It may also not be applicable in certain situations where the system does not behave quantum mechanically.

5. How is "3D Quantum HO in momentum space" relevant to current scientific research?

"3D Quantum HO in momentum space" is relevant in many fields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, molecular dynamics, and condensed matter physics. It can also provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and aid in the development of new technologies.