3D Forces and Moments Problem.

A is the position vector from the point of action to the origin, and rB is the position vector from the point of action to the new point <1,0,0>.In summary, the total force acting at the point (0; 1; 2), (1; 0; 3) and (1; 1; 0) is -2i + j + 4k, while the total moment about the origin is -4i + j + 2k. To find an equivalent system of forces for (b), the same method as part (a) is used, but with the new 'r' vectors calculated from the points to <1,0,0>
Wesc
Forces F1 =j + 3k, F2 = j + k and F3 = 2i + j act at the point (0; 1;2), (1;0;3) and (1;1;0) respectively.
(a) Find the total force and the total moment about the origin.
(b) Find an equivalent system of forces consisting of a single force acting at the (1;0;0) together with a couple.Ok so for (a), I think I have the correct answer. For the total force I simply added up the sum of forces and got a figure of -2i + j + 4k.
Then for the total moments I got the sum of each of the 3 individual moments. I calculated these by computing the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, with the top row being i j k , middle row being 'r' and the bottom row being the force. I got the total moment to be -4i + j + 2k.However, I'm stuck on (b). I don't really know where to start. If someone could write out how to do it I'd appreciate it so much because my Applied Mathematics exam is tomorrow !

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd do it in the same way as part a)

Except you'd need to get the new 'r' vectors from the points to <1,0,0> instead of the origin.

Use r = rA-rB

Related to 3D Forces and Moments Problem.

1. What is a 3D force and moment problem?

A 3D force and moment problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing forces and moments in three-dimensional space. This means that the forces and moments are acting in three different directions, typically represented by the x, y, and z axes.

2. How do I approach solving a 3D force and moment problem?

The first step in solving a 3D force and moment problem is to draw a free body diagram, which shows all the forces and moments acting on the object in question. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's laws of motion and the moment equation to solve for the unknown forces and moments.

3. What are some common applications of 3D force and moment problems?

3D force and moment problems are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and structural integrity of buildings, bridges, and other structures. They are also used in the design of aircrafts, cars, and other machines.

4. How does the addition of a third dimension affect the solution to a force and moment problem?

Adding a third dimension to a force and moment problem adds an additional level of complexity, as there are now three different directions to consider. This means that more equations and variables may be involved in the solution, making it more challenging to solve.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for solving 3D force and moment problems?

One helpful strategy for solving 3D force and moment problems is to break down the problem into smaller, simpler components. This can make it easier to visualize and understand the forces and moments at play. Additionally, it is important to carefully define a coordinate system to accurately represent the three dimensions and their respective forces and moments.