3D Equilibrium with cables (statics)

In summary, this problem involved finding the tension in three cables and the vertical force exerted on a collar, based on given dimensions and a diagram. After finding the position vectors and normalizing them, the equations were set up to solve for the unknown values. The mistake in the final answer was due to a simple arithmetic error.
kirab

Homework Statement

Diagram is attached.

The mast OA is supported by 3 cables. If cable AB is subjected to a tension of 500N, determine the tension in cables AC and AD and the vertical force F which the mast exerts along its axis on the collar at A.

a = 6m
b = 3m
c = 6m
d = 3m
e = 2m
f = 1.5m
g = 2m

Homework Equations

For this assignment, I'm pretty sure the prof just wants us to consider sum of Fx, Fy and Fz, and to take no moments.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a complete solution, but apparently it's not the right answer according to the teacher assistant (I don't know what the right answer is).

so vector AB = 2i + 3j - 6k
AC = -1.5i + 2j - 6k
AD = -3i -6j - 6k

and I get that vector Fab = (142.85i + 214.285j - 428.55k)N

Fac = (-0.2308(Fac)i + 0.30769(Fac)j - 0.923076(Fac)k)N (where the Fac's on the right side of the equation represent the magnitude of the force *vector* Fac)
and

Fad = (-0.333(Fad)i - 0.666(Fad)j - 0.666(Fad)k)N

and of course, F = (Fk)N

where i, j and k are all unit vectors in the direction of the x, y and z axis, respectively.

From that, I have that:

sum of Fx = 0

Equation 1: 142.85i - 0.2308(Fac)i - 0.333(Fad)i = 0

sum of Fy = 0

Equation 2: 214.285j + 0.30769(Fac)j - 0.666(Fad)j = 0

sum of Fz = 0

Equation 3: -428.55k - 0.923076(Fac)k - 0.666(Fad)k + F(k)= 0

That's 3 equations in 3 unknowns. I then rearranged equation 1 to get Fac in terms of Fad. I plugged this Fac equality into equation 2, to get Fad alone.

My answer for Fad is 910.2 N. Apparently that's wrong. Plugging that in elsewhere, I get that Fac = -694.2 N and that F = 393.9 N, which are both wrong according to the marker.

Any suggestions/corrections? Did I not approach the question properly or assume too much?

Thanks

Attachments

• Tut#4Q#3.jpg
    Tut#4Q#3.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,255
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is a simple concurrent forces on point A. The sum of this force will equal a resultant force. You tackled the problem correctly, first find the position vectors, then the normalize (unit vectors). Check for mistakes in your numbers. I checked your position vectors and they are right. I also checked on unit vector and it was right.

By the way, I recommend using fractions instead of decimals whenever possible, so your answers will tend to be more accurate (your rounding is a bit off sometimes).

Aha, it appears that it was just a simple arithmetic mistake!

Thanks for the tip.

Related to 3D Equilibrium with cables (statics)

1. What is 3D equilibrium with cables?

3D equilibrium with cables, also known as statics, is a branch of physics that deals with the analysis of forces acting on stationary objects in three-dimensional space. It involves calculating the forces and moments acting on an object in order to determine if the object is in a state of equilibrium or not.

2. How do cables affect 3D equilibrium?

Cables, or any type of tension member, play a critical role in 3D equilibrium. They can either support or restrict the motion of an object, and their tension forces must be taken into account when analyzing the overall equilibrium of the object. Cables can also change the direction of forces acting on the object.

3. What are the key principles used in 3D equilibrium with cables?

The key principles used in 3D equilibrium with cables include the concept of forces and moments, as well as the laws of motion and Newton's laws of motion. These principles are used to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine its state of equilibrium.

4. How is 3D equilibrium with cables applied in real-life situations?

3D equilibrium with cables is applied in a variety of real-life situations, such as in the design and construction of bridges, cranes, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of forces acting on the human body, such as in physical therapy or sports training.

5. What are some common challenges in solving problems involving 3D equilibrium with cables?

Some common challenges in solving problems involving 3D equilibrium with cables include accurately representing the forces and moments acting on an object, as well as understanding how different types of cables and tension members affect the overall equilibrium of the object. It also requires a strong understanding of mathematical principles and equations.