Consequences of Plagiarizing a Rough Draft

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Draft
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Hey, I'm ****ed. I went to a UC and got caught plagiarizing my English essay. The thing is, it's only the rough draft and the final draft is COMPLETELY different, but the proff turned it into the board members and I got an automatic F for the class.I feel like killing someone right now because I had my whole set up for going to medical school and now
nemzy
hey...i am ****ed for life...

i go to a UC and i got caught plagiarising on my english essay, but the thing is its only the rough draft and the final draft is COMPLETELY different and in my own, but still the proff turned it into the board members and i got an automatic F for the class...

This is my first time and i am ****ed cause i had my whole set in going to medical school...i studied ****ing hard my whole freshman and soph year and maintained a GPA of 3.8...and now cause of that one ****en class and everything i amd ****ed..i feel like killing some1 right now and i am clueless right now..

how big is it if u plagiarise a rough draft??

im going to talk to them tomrorrow and i need to know whawt to say..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer the bit about the rough draft. But I can say, from my own intuitive grasp of human nature, that the more belligerent your attitude seems to be to them, the more likely they are to dig in their heels and refuse to give an inch to you on this.

In undergraduate university I maintained a low C average despite a serious mental illness and never cheating, while some summa cum laudes got by with veiled dishonesty.

Contrition is your key. If school means that much to you, show them that you are now willing to follow a set of ethics.

It's helpful to express yourself, but instead of killing someone, swallow your pride, practice maturity and follow the letter of the board. Such action may benefit you throughout life.

It's going to be hard to prove that your final essay would be original since the rough draft was plagiarized. What was the reason behind turning in that rough draft?

Do you have a compelling argument to justify why you did it?

I would be as remorseful as possible in your meeting.

i was under a lot of stress that time because of my chem midterms which was the next day and being a procrastinator myself i do everything the night before

You better come up with something good. There's a long list of honest folks waiting to take your spot at a UC school.

What percentage of it did you plagiarize?

the rough draft..its 100% .i used my friends paper

and the final ...0% ..its completely my own work

nemzy said:
i feel like killing some1 right now
You feel like killing someone because you chose to cheat and *gasp* actually got caught? Grow the hell up.

- Warren

nemzy said:
hey...i am ****ed for life...

...depending on the decisions that you make right now. You are currently making the decisions that will define the course of your life. What kind of person are you? This question is more important than what happens tomorrow.

Tell the complete truth and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

chroot said:
You feel like killing someone because you chose to cheat and *gasp* actually got caught? Grow the hell up.

- Warren

okay, i know it is my fault for cheating and everything..and i was , like I am sure everyone else would be, in a bad mood while writing this and i may have overexaggerised a little and i in no means would kill anyone because of my stupid behavior..and I am sorry for that rude comment...

I would do what Loren & Ivan suggested, fall on your sword. Tell them this is the stupidist thing you have ever done. Admit you were wrong and hope that they believe this is really not in your nature.

here is the thing..

the rough draft isn't worth any points, and the professor was just assigning busy work and i had to focus on my science classes but i intended in writing a complete original final draft which is completely different from the rough draft that i turned in.

That doesn't matter. It was still an assignment, and you cheated on it. Trust me, trying to justify why cheating should have been okay will not go over well with the board.

- Warren

Honesty... which is alright because you never know how a cheatin habit will turn out... Perhaps this is a good first indication that will stop future impacts of similar action.

Did you weigh the consequences in the beginning? Aw well... I can't do anything for you, sorry.

Last edited:
The Vice Chancellor of my uni lost his job for the same thing. Not appreciated in academic circles.

As people have said... Do not try to justify it. Simply admit you didn't have the first version ready, and so borrowed one. Be very honest about it, apologise, and work really hard on your own work in case they allow you to submit it.

Rough drafts aren't busy work.

Rough drafts are there to ensure that you're on the right track with your work. They're there to point out any mistakes or problems. They're there to make sure you don't wait until the last minute.

Next time, if you're allowed a next time, you go to the professor and ask for an extension.

Chroot u are sooo cruel. poor nemzy! I think u should take Evos advice. She is pretty smart nemzy.. just prove to them that u are honest and hardworking. that's the best u can do right now.

… i got caught plagiarising on my english essay, but the thing is its only the rough draft and the final draft is COMPLETELY different and in my own,
The final draft is completed.

the rough draft..its 100% .i used my friends paper

and the final ...0% ..its completely my own work
The final draft is completed.

… but i intended in writing a complete original final draft which is completely different from the rough draft that i turned in.
The final draft, is it completed ?

Apologize for your actions. Then offer them a deal. Admit what you had done, admit that it was wrong and offer to write another essay on the evils of plagiarizing another person's work. If there is time, write a rough draft of the essay before walking into meeting to indicate to the teacher and the administrators that you understand the value of a rough draft and to show that you have learned your lesson.

Good luck.

Nemzy, I think this whole situation has given you a great opportunity to think about your behavior. It may seem minor to you, but regardless of the cicumstances, you did in fact participate in academic dishonesty. You say you want to go to med school. Would you cut corners or procrastinate when you are stressed there? I sure hope not.
I graduated from a UC, and I can say from knowing people in similar situations, that you will either be asked to leave the school permanently or you will be placed on an extended academic probation. If they offer you probation, this note will more than likely stay on your record, and should you apply to graduate school, you will have to explain these circumstances to the admission committees of the schools that you apply to.
When I was an R.A, someone on my hall was asked to leave because he had copied his chemistry lab from a friend. This assignment was not worth any points, and this would have normally resulted in probation. But, because the student went into the hearing with the attitude that what he had done was not "that bad", and he justified why he had done it. His defensive, dismissive attitude sealed the deal for the committee. I tell you this, because my advise to you is to take a good look at this, and go into your hearing with a *genuinely* humble attitude, a formal apology, and an understanding of the reasons why what you did was wrong.

hey guys, thanks for your help

ill notify later what happens

hey guys, thanks for your help

ill notify later what happens

mooberrymarz said:
Chroot u are sooo cruel. poor nemzy! I think u should take Evos advice. She is pretty smart nemzy.. just prove to them that u are honest and hardworking. that's the best u can do right now.

How is that anyway cruel? Warren is #3... he gives out the answer. Evo's advice will led you to rely on weakness and slither into the endless excuse we make for yourselfs. Why should I get up this morning? No one in the world gives a flying **** about you so do what you like... I think Chroot's advice is most beneficial if you follow it.

Hardworking is in itself a excuse for not being able to do something. Last time I checked nature does not give if you are smart or stupid or hardworking or lazy...

Ebolamonk3 said:
Hardworking is in itself a excuse for not being able to do something. Last time I checked nature does not give if you are smart or stupid or hardworking or lazy...
What on Earth are these two sentences supposed to mean?

mooberrymarz said:

Sorry, but I am unable to muster up much pity. But then again I am UC staff.

Ebolamonk3y said:
Evo's advice will led you to rely on weakness and slither into the endless excuse we make for yourselfs.
What's wrong with my advice?
Evo said:
I would do what Loren & Ivan suggested, fall on your sword. Tell them this is the stupidist thing you have ever done. Admit you were wrong and hope that they believe this is really not in your nature.

Your nature is what you do... What you give others as an impression is you and trying to say that... well this was me in my not so myself mood is just another lie to cover up a lie in itself...

Just say nothing. Nothing to say.

mooberrymarz said:
Chroot u are sooo cruel.

I don't think Warren is acting in any way cruel.

While I certainly don't wish nemzy any ill will, I am yet another person who has absolutely no tolerance for plagiarism.

Just two days ago a member of a design team I am team leader for decided that the academic careers of everyone in the team weren't worth a damn. The person plagiarized full text out of several websites and put it in as sections in our draft for a national competition. Luckily we caught it.

If we hadn't noticed and submitted it, it would have been the last scholarly paper any of us would have been able to write.

While I hope you the best, nemzy, you really should have known better.

Monk3y, you talk in riddles. Is this a zen thing?

Evo, you have been accused of advising a co-ed to slither. How do you plead?

:rofl:

Last edited:
look guyz. nemzy made a mistake and is going to pay for it regardless of the advice we give. i can't help but be sympathetic coz life is about making mistakes and learning from them. Consequences are things we cannot run from or in some cases change, so I just think its good to be supportive. the UC staff are certainly not going to be like that..

mooberrymarz said:
look guyz. nemzy made a mistake and is going to pay for it regardless of the advice we give. i can't help but be sympathetic coz life is about making mistakes and learning from them. Consequences are things we cannot run from or in some cases change, so I just think its good to be supportive. the UC staff are certainly not going to be like that..

Mistakes like these concerning cheating is made at a young age and if not you know of the people who cheated and their results, which, usually is not that good... If you have no morals or standards then you can at lest employ common sense. If you neglect common sense you are no longer willing to take responsibilities for rational decisions, rather, you want all decisions to be irrational and there can be no sympathies for that. You seriously thing if the members on PF cry a river for you you can actually feel better? Go to a local park and visit the river, think mother Earth cry a river for you. How special.

People make mistakes. Probably the biggest mistake people make is to dwell on past mistakes interminably. nemzy made a big mistake, and now s/he's already facing considerable consequences, so there is little value in continuing to pile on the criticisms. Plagiarism is a serious offense in academic life, but there is so much more to life than academics. nemzy will have to face the repurcussions in the arena of academia, but the nature of the offense doesn't justify a complete withdrawal of guidance and emotional support. If everyone acted this way, the world would be even more neurotic than it already is.

A young person can usually survive a few bad choices; we all did it. The important thing is to admit the truth and move on. A continued pattern of deciept, with lie built upon lie, is sure recipe for disaster. IME, most people face several important moments of choice in their life - about the kind of person that they are and will be - perhaps like that faced now by nemzy. I have come to believe that we can't really imagine the entirety of the consequences of those seemingly isolated moments, and the choices that we make.

Last edited:
So it is life.

hmmm.. it's been a while now since nemzy has posted. Do you think no news is good news...?