32.76 Time for current to decay with capacitors and resistors

In summary, the problem is to determine at what time the current in the 8 ohm resistor decays to half its initial value after the switch is closed in a circuit with 2 capacitors in series at 60 microfarads each, another in parallel at 20 microfarads, and resistors of 30 and 20 ohms. The attempt at a solution involved using the equations Q=Qoe^(-t/RC) and I=Ioe^(-t/RC), but did not account for equivalent resistance when finding RC. Further analysis and a circuit diagram may be needed to solve this challenging problem.
thedarkone80

Homework Statement

The capacitors in the figure are charged and the switch closes at t=0s. At what time has the current in the 8 ohm resistor decayed to half the value it had immediately after the switch was closed?
(The circuit looks something like this; 2 capacitors are in series at 60microfarads each, another is in parallel with the other two at 20microfarads. Above and to the right is a switch, and to the right of the switch is an 8 ohm resisitor. Below and to the right of the 8 ohm resistor is two resistors in parallel, one at 30 ohm and another at 20 ohms.)

Homework Equations

Q=Qoe^(-t/RC)
I=Ioe^(-t/RC)
From knight edition 2, a strategic approach

The Attempt at a Solution

Value of capacitors=50*10^-6 F
Value of resistors= 23 ohms
Using I=Ioe^(-t/RC)
(We don't really need to find the values of I and Io because we know that the current has to decay to 1/2 its original value
ln(0.5)= (-t/RC)
I think my point of error lies here, but I am not sure...
ln(0.5)= (-t/(8ohms*(50*10^-6)))
-t=2.77*10^-4 s
This answer is incorrect. Considering that the textbook calls this a challanging problem, I am assuming that there is more work needed to answer this question than what I have done. Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use equivalent resistance when finding RC, not the 8 Ohms.

Shelby Surprenant said:
You need to use equivalent resistance when finding RC, not the 8 Ohms.
The Original Post is from 2010. It is rather unlikely that the Original Poster (who was last active here back in April of 2010) is still interested in this particular problem.

If you wish to pursue the solution of the problem, feel free to provide an analysis. A circuit diagram of your understanding of the circuit involved would be beneficial for helpers who wish to chime in.

Related to 32.76 Time for current to decay with capacitors and resistors

1. What is the equation for calculating the time for current to decay with capacitors and resistors?

The equation for calculating the time for current to decay with capacitors and resistors is t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. How does the capacitance affect the time for current to decay?

The capacitance directly affects the time for current to decay. A higher capacitance means a longer decay time, while a lower capacitance means a shorter decay time. This is because a higher capacitance allows for more charge to be stored, which takes longer to discharge through the resistor.

3. What is the relationship between resistance and the time for current to decay?

The time for current to decay is directly proportional to the resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the time for current to decay also increases. This is because a higher resistance means a slower discharge of charge, resulting in a longer decay time.

4. Can the time for current to decay be shortened by using a larger resistor?

Yes, using a larger resistor can shorten the time for current to decay. This is because a larger resistor allows for a faster discharge of charge, resulting in a shorter decay time. However, using a resistor that is too large can also decrease the accuracy of the decay time calculation.

5. How does the type of capacitor affect the time for current to decay?

The type of capacitor used can affect the time for current to decay. Different types of capacitors have different capacitance values, which in turn affects the decay time. Additionally, factors such as dielectric material and construction can also impact the decay time.