Ammonium and Clorox: A Major NO NO?

• Thread starter Miles
  • Start date
In summary, mixing ammonium and clorox is highly discouraged due to the toxic and flammable gas, hydrazine, that is produced. This is a common practical joke among janitorial staff, but it is a dangerous and potentially deadly reaction. Clorox is a brand name bleach and contains calcium hypochlorite. When combined with amines or ammonia, the reaction can produce a variety of substances, including chloramines and chlorine. This reaction is highly exothermic and can result in explosions if not handled properly. The chemistry of nitrogenous wastes in urine is complex and can also contribute to the dangerous reaction.
Miles
I heard that mixing ammonium and clorox was a major NO NO. I was just wondering why, and if its really that big of a NO NO.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This is a hydrazine synthesis route, the hydrazine coming off as a gas, and hydrazine is toxic and flammable. Supposedly, this is a popular practical joke among janitorial staffs --- pour clorox into urinals, and leave it for the unsuspecting victim to gas himself while "watering the horses." The reaction proceeds equally well with amines as with ammonia.

What is the clorox, some kind of cleaning fluid, bleach or ... ?

Formula ?

Clorox is a brand name bleach, company's listed on the NYSE, and the word has become synonymous in usage for any hypochlorite bleach; it's available for household use generally as a solution of calcium hypochlorite (Ca(CLO)2).

I was reading that hydrazine (N2H4) has a boiling point of 113.5C. And you were saying how these poor bastards taking a piss could gas themselves. Is the reaction highly exothermic, enough so it vaporizes the hydrazine?
What is it reacting with in the piss? Is it some amines or is it ammonia that presumably is decomposed from the urea in piss?

can someone help? I've been waiting awhile..

--- and methyl hydrazine, and probably chloramines, and chlorine, and ----. Chemistry of the nitrogenous wastes in the urinary tract includes, but is not limited to, various amines, amino acids, plus who knows what all. Hypochlorite is an oxidizing agent --- oxidizer plus a mixture of reduced species equals a variety of reactions. Exothermic? Sure --- search "hydrazine" for the various "kewl bomb" pages, basement chemists, and other Darwin Award candidates.

thank you very much.

1. What happens when Ammonium and Clorox are mixed together?

When Ammonium and Clorox are mixed together, they create a toxic gas called chloramine. This gas can irritate the respiratory system and can be harmful if inhaled in large quantities.

2. Can Ammonium and Clorox be safely used together?

No, Ammonium and Clorox should never be used together as they can create a toxic gas and be harmful to your health. It is important to always read and follow the instructions on cleaning products to avoid mixing chemicals that can be dangerous.

3. What are the symptoms of exposure to chloramine gas?

The symptoms of exposure to chloramine gas include coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. In severe cases, it can lead to respiratory failure.

4. How can I safely dispose of Ammonium and Clorox products?

To safely dispose of Ammonium and Clorox products, follow the instructions on the label or contact your local hazardous waste disposal facility. Do not pour them down the drain or mix them with other chemicals.

5. Can I use Ammonium and Clorox in the same area at different times?

No, it is not safe to use Ammonium and Clorox in the same area at different times. The residue from the first product may still be present and can react with the second product, creating toxic fumes. It is best to thoroughly clean the area before using a different product.