Vector parametric equation of a line

In summary: And yes, you can plug it into the equation (2,0) + t(1,-2/3) or (2,0) + t(3,-2) to get the vector parametric equation of the line.
roam
Find a vector parametric equation of the line in [tex]R^{2}[/tex] with equation 2x-3y = 4

Attempt at a solution

I haven't seen this type of question before so I don't know where to start. I suppose that the equation 2x-3y = 4 is a vector equation of that line and is in the form x = x0 + tv. I just don't know how to split this vector equation up and try to write the parametric vector equation.

Can someone please explain to me what to do. Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
2x - 3y = 4 is the cartesian equation, not the vector equation.

If a line has the vector equation r = x0 + tv, then it passes through the point x0 and is parallel to the vector v.

Can you find a point that the line 2x - 3y = 4 passes through? Can you find a vector to which it is parallel?

roam said:
Find a vector parametric equation of the line in [tex]R^{2}[/tex] with equation 2x-3y = 4

the form x = x0 + tv.

Hi roam! :smile:

Yes, that is the right form. :smile:

x0 can be any point on the line.

So just choose some point on the line (at random), and chug away. :wink:

One of your difficulties is that there are many different parametric equations for the same line.

Yes, you want x= at+ b, y= ct+ d. But you can choose "t" anyway you want. You might, for example, choose t to be x itself: that is x= t. Now y= ?

Hi Tim!

I think I should even write the equation 2x-3y=4 in the form:

[tex]y = \frac{2x -4}{3}[/tex] for some t

And I choose some random point on the line, (2,0)

Now for x = x0 + bt, y = y0+ bt

If x = t, like Hall said, y = [tex]\frac{2t -4}{3}[/tex]

is this the vector parametric equation of the line? Do I need to specify a "t" as well?

Is it (t, [tex]\frac{2t -4}{3}[/tex]) ?

vector parametric equation

Hi roam! :smile:
roam said:
Hi Tim!

I think I should even write the equation 2x-3y=4 in the form:

[tex]y = \frac{2x -4}{3}[/tex] for some t

And I choose some random point on the line, (2,0)

So far, so good. :smile:

(though you could have got that straight from 2x-3y=4, couldn't you? :wink:)

At this point I'm going to disagree with HallsofIvy, and say that I think the question is asking for a pure vector equation, rather than a coordinate-based one.

Coordinate-based would be of the form x = f(t), y = g(t).

Pure vector would be of the form r(t) = a + bt, where a and b are both constant vectors.

So the answer would be r(t) = (2,0) + (?,?)t. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
So the answer would be r(t) = (2,0) + (?,?)t. :smile:

Hi Tim,

How do we determine the direction vector? Thanks!

roam said:
Hi Tim,

How do we determine the direction vector? Thanks!

oh come on! :rolleyes:

just look at the original equation: 2x-3y = 4 …

if x goes up by 1, then y goes up by … ? :smile:

Very little difference between "parametric equations", x= f(t), y= g(t), as I gave, and "vector parametric equation", [itex]\vec{r}= f(t)\vec{i}+ g(t)\vec{j}[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
oh come on! :rolleyes:

just look at the original equation: 2x-3y = 4 …

Would it be 3/2?

roam said:
Would it be 3/2?

Hmm, try again.

You yourself said that y=[tex]\frac{2x-4}{3}[/tex]. What is the slope of that line? How would you express that slope in the form of a direction vector?

BoundByAxioms said:
Hmm, try again.

You yourself said that y=[tex]\frac{2x-4}{3}[/tex]. What is the slope of that line? How would you express that slope in the form of a direction vector?

m = 2/3 ?

tiny-tim said:

[tex]y = \frac{2x-4}{3}[/tex]
if x = 1 then y = -10/3

Is that it? can we plug it in the equation (2,0) + t(*,*)? :confused:

roam said:
m = 2/3 ?

Yes! :smile:
roam said:
if x = 1 then y = -10/3

uh? wots happening? :confused:

(x,y) = (2,0) + t(1,2/3), or perhaps more neatly (x,y) = (2,0) + t(3,2). :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Yes! :smile:

uh? wots happening? :confused:

(x,y) = (2,0) + t(1,2/3), or perhaps more neatly (x,y) = (2,0) + t(3,2). :smile:

You're golden.

roam said:
if x = 1 then y = -10/3

If x=1, then y=-2/3. Just for clarification. Where did you get the -10/3 from?

1. What is a vector parametric equation of a line?

A vector parametric equation of a line is a mathematical representation of a line in three-dimensional space using two parameters, typically denoted as t and s. It is written in the form r(t) = p + tv, where p is a point on the line and v is a vector parallel to the line.

2. How do you find the vector parametric equation of a line?

To find the vector parametric equation of a line, you need to know a point on the line and a vector parallel to the line. The point and the vector can be given, or they can be determined from other information about the line, such as its slope and y-intercept in the case of a line in two dimensions.

3. What is the purpose of using a vector parametric equation of a line?

A vector parametric equation of a line allows us to easily describe and manipulate lines in three-dimensional space. It also provides a convenient way to find points on the line at specific values of the parameters t and s.

4. Can you convert a vector parametric equation of a line into other forms?

Yes, a vector parametric equation of a line can be converted into other forms, such as a Cartesian equation or a symmetric equation. However, these conversions may require additional information, such as the direction ratios of the line or the coordinates of two points on the line.

5. What is the difference between a vector parametric equation and a scalar parametric equation of a line?

A vector parametric equation of a line uses vectors to describe the line, while a scalar parametric equation uses scalar values. In other words, a vector parametric equation represents the line as a combination of a point and a vector, while a scalar parametric equation represents the line as a combination of two equations involving the parameters t and s.