3 printers rest on top of each other on a table [FORCES]

In summary, there are three printers placed on top of each other, with weights of 4 kg, 3 kg, and 2 kg respectively. The middle printer exerts a force of 68.6 N on the lower printer and 68.6 N on the upper printer, while the lower printer exerts a force of 68.6 N on the middle printer. The forces are balanced and the normal force on the top printer is 49 N.
dungas

Homework Statement

Three printers [X, Y, Z] are placed on top of each other on a table. What force does the middle printer exert on each of the other two printers.

x is on top, y in middle, and z on bottom.

x = 4 kg, y = 3 kg , and z = 2 kg
2. F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I can consider the top two printers as one so the weight would be 7 kg.

F = (7kg)(9.8 m/s^2 )
= 68.6 N

That would be the force exerted on z(the bottom printer).

The normal force would be exerted on the top printer so:

F = (5kg)(9.8 m/s^2 )
= 49 N

However this doesn't make sense since, the objects are in equilibrium so they're suppose to be equal...Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
68.6 N is the force between the middle and the lower printer, and required to support the upper two printers.
You can use the same argument to calculate the force between the upper and the middle printer - you can even save one step, as you don't have to combine objects there.

mfb said:
68.6 N is the force between the middle and the lower printer, and required to support the upper two printers.
You can use the same argument to calculate the force between the upper and the middle printer - you can even save one step, as you don't have to combine objects there.

The forces have to balance out so would be just 68.6 between the middle one and the upper one.

Also, since I'm combining objects in my previous calculations. wouldn't it be incorrect because I'm taking into account the forces of two objects when I should be just finding the force exerted by the middle one(y). The thought just came in my mind.

dungas said:
The forces have to balance out so would be just 68.6 between the middle one and the upper one.
This would not give balanced forces, as you have nothing to balance the gravitational force of the middle printer then.

Also, since I'm combining objects in my previous calculations. wouldn't it be incorrect because I'm taking into account the forces of two objects when I should be just finding the force exerted by the middle one(y). The thought just came in my mind.
I don't understand what you mean.

Try to solve an easier problem first: Two printers, standing on a table. The upper one has a mass of 4kg, the lower one has a mass of 3kg. What is the force between them? Does this give balanced forces on the upper printer?

I would like to clarify that the weight and force are not the same thing. Weight is a measurement of the force of gravity on an object, while force is a measurement of the interaction between two objects. In this scenario, the weight of each printer is due to the force of gravity pulling down on them.

To answer the question, we need to consider the forces acting on each printer. The top printer (x) is only affected by the force of gravity pulling it downward. The middle printer (y), however, is affected by both the force of gravity pulling it downward and the normal force exerted by the bottom printer (z) pushing it upward.

Using Newton's second law (F=ma), we can calculate the force exerted by the middle printer (y) on the bottom printer (z):

F = ma
F = (3kg)(9.8 m/s^2)
F = 29.4 N

Similarly, we can calculate the force exerted by the middle printer (y) on the top printer (x):

F = ma
F = (3kg)(9.8 m/s^2)
F = 29.4 N

Therefore, the middle printer exerts a force of 29.4 N on both the top and bottom printers. This is because the middle printer is supporting the weight of the top printer and also pushing up against the bottom printer to keep the stack in equilibrium.

Related to 3 printers rest on top of each other on a table [FORCES]

1. What is the force that allows the printers to rest on top of each other?

The force that allows the printers to rest on top of each other is the force of gravity. This force pulls all objects towards the center of the Earth and is what holds the printers in place.

2. How do the printers not fall off the table due to the force of gravity?

The printers do not fall off the table because of the balancing force provided by the table itself. The table's surface and legs are strong enough to withstand the force of gravity pulling down on the printers, keeping them in place.

3. Does the weight of the printers affect the force required to keep them on the table?

Yes, the weight of the printers does affect the force required to keep them on the table. The heavier the printers are, the stronger the balancing force provided by the table needs to be in order to keep them in place.

4. Can the printers exert a force on each other while resting on top of each other?

Yes, the printers can exert a force on each other while resting on top of each other. This is due to the force of gravity pulling down on each printer, causing them to push against each other as they try to move towards the center of the Earth.

5. What other forces may be at play in this scenario?

In addition to the force of gravity and the balancing force provided by the table, other forces that may be at play in this scenario include friction between the printers and the table's surface, as well as any external forces such as air resistance or vibrations that may affect the stability of the printers' resting position.