3 phase, star connected system

In summary, the sending-end voltage is different than the load voltage, so you would use the line voltage to find the sending-end voltage.
Michael V
1. Statement

A star connected load of 3300 kVA at 18 kV and a power factor of 0,8 lagging is supplied by a three-phase transmission line having a resistance of 4Ω per phase and an inductive reactance of 7Ω per phase.

Determine:
a. the sending-end voltage
b. the percentage regulation
c. the efficiency of the line

2. The attempt at a solution

I've attached my attempt at this.
i'm confused on what ''sending-end voltage'' is. also do i need to workout the impedance for this.

Attachments

• scan1.pdf
    269.4 KB · Views: 261
  • past paper.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 241
Physics news on Phys.org
Michael V said:
i'm confused on what ''sending-end voltage'' is. also do i need to workout the impedance for this.

There is a voltage drop on the transmission line due to its impedance. That means the 'sending voltage' (the voltage source attached at the other end of the transmission line) is different than the voltage at the load.

So then, because it's star-connected, do I use the line voltage or the phase voltage to start with? Using VL = [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] × Vph, but I can only do that when IL = Iph?

For (a), first i took the resistance and reactance to get impedance: Zphase = 4 + j7 = 8,062 |60,26° Ω

then i use the rating: S = I × V (not sure if i should use VLine or Vphase)

Iphase = [itex]\frac{3300 kVA}{18 kV / \sqrt{3}}[/itex] = 317,543 A or ILine = [itex]\frac{3300 kVA}{18 kV}[/itex] = 183,333 A

then to find voltage drop: E = I × Z (which current do i use?)

Last edited:
Heres my full attempt attached, just struggling on c. whether to use rated power or the true power.

Attachments

• transmission line answer.pdf
    496.3 KB · Views: 306
Michael V said:
then to find voltage drop: E = I × Z (which current do i use?)

I'd use phase voltages and phase currents to find the voltage drop in a single supply line, then use that to find the phase voltage at the supply end.

It has been a very long time since I have done anything with power so it would be better if someone else came along to check your work. I'd need to do a review first.

Related to 3 phase, star connected system

1. What is a 3 phase, star connected system?

A 3 phase, star connected system is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three power conductors and a neutral conductor, with the three conductors connected in a star or "Y" configuration. It is commonly used for delivering power to large industrial and commercial buildings.

2. How does a 3 phase, star connected system work?

In a 3 phase, star connected system, the three power conductors are connected to a generator or transformer, with each conductor carrying a different phase of the electrical current. The neutral conductor is also connected and provides a return path for current. This arrangement allows for a more balanced and efficient distribution of power compared to a single phase system.

3. What are the advantages of a 3 phase, star connected system?

There are several advantages to using a 3 phase, star connected system. Firstly, it is more efficient and can handle larger loads compared to a single phase system. It also allows for a more balanced distribution of power, reducing the risk of overloading one phase. Additionally, it is more cost-effective as it requires less wiring and smaller conductors compared to a single phase system.

4. How is a 3 phase, star connected system different from a delta connected system?

In a delta connected system, the three power conductors are connected in a triangular or "delta" configuration, without a neutral conductor. This type of system is mainly used in small-scale industrial and residential settings. The main difference between a delta and star connected system is the presence of a neutral conductor in the star configuration, which allows for a more balanced distribution of power and better handling of unbalanced loads.

5. What are some common applications of a 3 phase, star connected system?

A 3 phase, star connected system is commonly used in large industrial and commercial settings, such as factories, power plants, and office buildings. It is also used in some residential areas that require a high amount of power, such as apartment complexes or high-rise buildings. Additionally, it is used for large motor applications, such as in elevators, pumps, and air conditioning units.