3-Phase Networks & Transformers

In summary, for a book with questions and answers on circuits involving transformers at an undergraduate level, "Understanding Electric Power Systems" by Carol Hurst and Donald J. Thomas is highly recommended.
sandy.bridge
Looking for a recommendation of a book I can take out from the library at my University. I am looking for a book that has questions & answers (even or odd) to circuits involving transformers. I currently have a textbook with problems, but it has no answers. I find it rather pointless working through a problem when one cannot ensure they got it right.

This is at an undergraduate level; in fact it is my first real course in power. Main topics I am looking for is single-phase transformers, and triple phase transformers. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book I can recommend is "Understanding Electric Power Systems: An Overview of the Technology and the Marketplace" by Carol Hurst and Donald J. Thomas. This book provides a comprehensive overview of electric power systems, including transformers, and includes questions and answers for each topic. It is widely available in university libraries.

Related to 3-Phase Networks & Transformers

1. What is a 3-phase network?

A 3-phase network is a type of electrical power distribution system that uses three live conductors to carry alternating current (AC) electricity. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to provide a more efficient and balanced distribution of power.

2. How does a 3-phase network differ from a single-phase network?

A single-phase network uses only one live conductor to carry AC electricity, while a 3-phase network uses three live conductors. This allows a 3-phase network to handle a higher amount of power and provides a more balanced distribution of the load.

3. What is a transformer and how is it used in a 3-phase network?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to change the voltage level of an electrical circuit. In a 3-phase network, transformers are used to step up or step down the voltage level of the electricity being transmitted through the network. This is important for efficient power distribution and to match the voltage levels of different electrical equipment.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3-phase network?

There are several advantages to using a 3-phase network. It allows for a more efficient distribution of power, reduces the amount of copper needed for wiring, provides a more balanced load on the network, and allows for the use of higher voltage levels which can reduce power losses during transmission.

5. What are some common applications of 3-phase networks and transformers?

3-phase networks and transformers are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for powering large machinery and equipment, such as manufacturing plants, data centers, and hospitals. They are also used in residential settings for high-power appliances like air conditioners and ovens.