3 masses on an incline (connected)

• Thread starter Ab17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three connected objects on an inclined plane. The first part assumes no friction and finds the mass M and tensions T1 and T2 in terms of m, g, and u. The second part doubles the value of M and finds the acceleration of each object and the tensions T1 and T2. The third part introduces a coefficient of static friction and finds the maximum and minimum values of M. The solution provided is incomplete and it is difficult to verify its accuracy without more information.
Ab17

Homework Statement

Consider the three connected objects shown in Figure P5.88. Assume first that the inclined plane is friction- less and that the system is in equilibrium. In terms of m, g, and u, find (a) the mass M and (b) the tensions T1 and T2. Now assume that the value of M is double the value found in part (a). Find (c) the acceleration of each object and (d) the tensions T1 and T2. Next, assume that the coefficient of static friction between m and 2m and the inclined plane is ms and that the system is in equilib- rium. Find (e) the maximum value of M and (f) the minimum value of M. (g) Compare the values of T2 when M has its minimum and ma

Homework Equations

F=ma
Efy=0
Efx=0

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) 3msin@
( b) T1= 2mgsin@
T2= 3mgsin@
(c) a= 3gsin@
( d) T2= 6mgsin@
T1 = 2mgsin@
(e) 3ms + 2mgsin@/g
(f) don't know what to do but fs less than Us.N

The problem is long and confusing need help

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution is too long that is why I only provided the answers I got. Are the answers right or did I make a mistake

Ab17 said:
Solution is too long that is why I only provided the answers I got. Are the answers right or did I make a mistake
It will be extremely hard to check your work with neither the diagram nor a description of the arrangement.

Ab17 said:
It will be extremely hard to check your work with neither the diagram nor a description of the arrangement.

Related to 3 masses on an incline (connected)

What is the concept of "3 masses on an incline (connected)"?

The concept of "3 masses on an incline (connected)" refers to a physical system where three objects of different masses are connected and placed on an inclined plane. The objects are connected by a string or a pulley system, and the system is subjected to the forces of gravity and friction.

What is the significance of studying "3 masses on an incline (connected)"?

Studying "3 masses on an incline (connected)" allows scientists to understand the principles of mechanics, such as the laws of motion, forces, and energy conservation. It also helps in understanding real-life situations, such as the motion of objects on a slope or the behavior of a pulley system.

What are the factors that affect the motion of "3 masses on an incline (connected)"?

The motion of "3 masses on an incline (connected)" is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the objects and the incline, and the forces acting on the system, such as gravity and tension.

What is the equation used to calculate the acceleration of "3 masses on an incline (connected)"?

The equation used to calculate the acceleration of "3 masses on an incline (connected)" is a modified version of Newton's second law of motion, F=ma. The equation takes into account the forces of gravity and friction, and the masses and angles of the objects to determine the net acceleration of the system.

What are the possible scenarios that can occur in "3 masses on an incline (connected)"?

There are three possible scenarios that can occur in "3 masses on an incline (connected)": the system can be in equilibrium, where the net forces on the system are balanced, resulting in no motion; the system can accelerate in a specific direction if the net forces are unbalanced; or the system can move with a constant velocity if the net forces are balanced but not equal to zero.