3 forces, 5N,6N and 7N ac on a particle which remains in a state of equilibrium.

In summary, the conversation discusses 3 forces acting on a particle in equilibrium and finding the angle between two of the forces. The approach suggested involves using dot product and known values to find the angle between the forces.
JessiMen
3 forces, 5N,6N and 7N act on a particle which remains in a state of equilibrium. What is the angle between the 5N and 6N force?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm going to assume the 3 forces all act within the same plane. And so, I would choose one of the forces to act along the $x$-axis in the positive direction (I'll choose the one with the largest magnitude so our unknowns involve the vectors in question), and I would make the following definitions:

\(\displaystyle F_1=\langle x_1,y_1 \rangle\) where \(\displaystyle \left|F_1\right|=5\)

\(\displaystyle F_2=\langle x_2,y_2 \rangle\) where \(\displaystyle \left|F_2\right|=6\)

\(\displaystyle F_3=\langle 7,0 \rangle\)

Next, let the resultant force be:

\(\displaystyle F_R=F_1+F_2+F_3=\langle 0,0 \rangle\)

And so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x_1+x_2+7=0\)

\(\displaystyle y_1+y_2=0\)

\(\displaystyle x_1^2+y_1^2=5^2\)

\(\displaystyle x_2^2+y_2^2=6^2\)

We have 4 equations in 4 unknowns...can you proceed?

Here is an idea using dot product. I call the vectors $a$, $b$ and $c$ with $|a|=7$.
\[
b\cdot c=\frac12((b+c)\cdot(b+c)-b\cdot b-c\cdot c)
\]
Now use the facts that $b+c=-a$ and that $a\cdot a$, $b\cdot b$ and $c\cdot c$ are known to find $b\cdot c$ and therefore the angle between $b$ and $c$.

Related to 3 forces, 5N,6N and 7N ac on a particle which remains in a state of equilibrium.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in physics?

Equilibrium in physics refers to a state in which all forces acting on a particle are balanced, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in the particle's motion.

2. How many forces are acting on the particle in this scenario?

There are three forces acting on the particle - 5N, 6N, and 7N. These forces can be represented by vectors and their combined effect determines the particle's state of equilibrium.

3. Can the particle be in equilibrium if one of the forces is greater than the other two?

No, for the particle to remain in equilibrium, the net force must be zero. If one of the forces is greater than the other two, the net force will not be zero and the particle will not be in equilibrium.

4. How does the direction of the forces affect the particle's state of equilibrium?

The direction of the forces is crucial in determining the particle's state of equilibrium. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, they can cancel each other out and the particle will be in equilibrium. However, if the forces are acting in the same direction, they will add up and the particle will not be in equilibrium.

5. What happens to the particle if one of the forces is removed?

If one of the forces is removed, the remaining forces may no longer be balanced and the particle will no longer be in equilibrium. The particle will then experience a net force and may move in the direction of the remaining force.