The real question in real world

• Thread starter xyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Real world
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of coal as a fuel in electrical power plants and the issue of thermal pollution caused by waste heat. The question posed is to determine the minimum flow rate of river water to prevent its temperature from exceeding 25 degrees Celsius due to the waste heat. The conversation also includes a separate question about the amount of coal used to produce 150MW of power per day. The solution involves calculating the heat dissipation rate and using the specific heat capacity of water to determine the required flow rate of river water.
xyz
Hi,there..
I do need your help...I'm doing my test during this spring break.

Many current electrical power plants (especially in the eastern U.S.)use coal as the fuel to heat water at 25 degrees Celsius into steam at 190 degrees Celsius,which then expands and drives a turbine generator. The "use" steam is condensed by passing it through coils in contact with river water at 20 degrees Celsius. Burning coal produces 7800 calories of heat per gram. Assume the plant efficiency is typical of older coal plants, about 15%.1calorie is 4.186 joules..

question c is "One of the many problems with this kind of power plant is its Thermal Pollution, as the waste heat warms the river. What is the minimum rate that river water must flow past the coils so that its temperature does not exceed 25 degrees Celsius?"
I guess it ask the minimum mass of river water must flow past the coils from 20 degrees Celsius to 25 degree Celsius.
...Thanks for any replies...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm... I don't think the question is complete. You need to know details as to the power output of the plant ie. the amount of heat energy dissipated in water per second or whatever. The efficiency percentage helps, but we don't know the energy input to begin with, as well as how much waste energy ends up in the cooling coils.

What were the other parts of the question?

hummm...u are professional. Yes..Sorry,I forgot.
There are two questions, the frist question is "how many metric tons (1 metric ton=1000kg) of coal are used each day to produce 150MW of power to a city? This question i have figured out. The key is we know W=150MW*24*60*60s, Q_h=W/15%=86400000MJ,each day.the mass of coal each day is 86400000MJ/32650.8J/g=2650ton. The second question is above.

Ok... so you know the work output of the plant.(150MW) Let's assume all of the waste heat goes into the water.

From the information, you know that 150MW is only 15% of the total power output. So, 85% is waste. The total power is 150/0.15 = 1000MW, and hence we have a heat dissipation rate of 850MW, or 850MJ per second.

Use Q = mass * specific heat capacity * 5 (the change in temp of the water), substituting in 4.12 Jkg^-1K^-1 as the specific heat capacity of water and 850000000 J as Q. Now, you calculate the mass of water per second from this, and hence work out the rate of water flow, in kg per second. Any problems?

Hi...FZ+

I calculate that there are at least 40612kg river water per second must flow past the coils...

Thanks a lot:wink:

What is the meaning of "the real question in real world"?

The phrase "the real question in real world" refers to the fundamental or underlying issue that needs to be addressed in a given situation or problem in the real world. It implies that there may be surface level questions or distractions, but the real question is what truly matters in finding a solution or understanding a situation.

How can one identify the real question in a real world scenario?

Identifying the real question in a real world scenario requires critical thinking and analysis. It involves looking beyond the surface level and understanding the context and underlying factors at play. Asking "why" and "how" questions can help uncover the real question behind a problem or situation.

Why is it important to focus on the real question in the real world?

Focusing on the real question in the real world allows for a deeper understanding of a problem or situation. It enables individuals to address the root cause and find more effective and long-lasting solutions. It also helps avoid wasting time and resources on superficial or irrelevant issues.

Can the real question in real world situations change?

Yes, the real question in real world situations can change as new information and perspectives are uncovered. It is important to continuously reassess and analyze the situation to ensure that the real question is being addressed. In some cases, the real question may also evolve as the situation evolves.

How can understanding the real question in real world situations benefit society?

Understanding the real question in real world situations can lead to more effective problem-solving and decision-making. This can have a positive impact on society by addressing underlying issues and creating more sustainable solutions. It can also promote critical thinking and deeper understanding of complex issues.