3 blocks on a frictionless surface

In summary, the problem involves three blocks on a frictionless table, with masses of 0.54 kg, 2.16 kg, and 2.87 kg. A 13.8 N force is applied to the 1 kg block, and the question is asking for the force exerted by the 2.16 kg block on the 2.87 kg block. The solution involves calculating the acceleration and using a Free Body Diagram to apply Newton's laws to the 2.87 kg block. The second part of the problem asks for the force exerted by the 2.16 kg block on the 0.54 kg block, which can be found by multiplying the acceleration by the mass of the 0
talaroue

Homework Statement

Blocks with masses of 0.54 kg, 2.16 kg, and 2.87 kg are lined up in a row on a frictionless table. All three are pushed forward by a 13.8 N force applied to the 1 kg block. How much force does the 2.16 kg block exert on the 2.87 kg block?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics5.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought all I had to do was calculate the acceleration and then multiply by the mass of the second block?

There is a second part of the problem that I got right...
How much force does the 2.16 kg block exert on the 0.54 kg block?
I found the acceleration which is 13.8/5.57=2.48 m/s^2 then i took that and mutliplied it by .54 kg that gave me N then I subtracted that N from the orginal 13.8...but it doesn't work for the first part why?

talaroue said:
Blocks with masses of 0.54 kg, 2.16 kg, and 2.87 kg are lined up in a row on a frictionless table. All three are pushed forward by a 13.8 N force applied to the 1 kg block. How much force does the 2.16 kg block exert on the 2.87 kg block?

I thought all I had to do was calculate the acceleration and then multiply by the mass of the second block?
No, this will give you the net force acting on the 2nd block, not the force of block 2 on block 3. Instead, once you calculate the acceleration, you must draw a Free Body Diagram (FBD) which isolates the last (2.87 kg) block, identify the forces acting on that block, and apply Newton's laws to that block to solve for the force of block 2 on block 3.

talaroue said:
There is a second part of the problem that I got right...
How much force does the 2.16 kg block exert on the 0.54 kg block?
I found the acceleration which is 13.8/5.57=2.48 m/s^2
Correct.
then i took that and mutliplied it by .54 kg that gave me N
no it didn't, it gave you the net force acting on block 1
then I subtracted that N from the orginal 13.8...but it doesn't work for the first part why?
you mean you subtracted the net force from the 13.8 to get the force of block 2 on block 1.

Yeah I meant I subtracted the net force from 13.8. I got the first one but not the second one...hmmmm i think I will meet with my professor and ask him what i should have done. thank you guys for your help.

Related to 3 blocks on a frictionless surface

1. What is the concept of "3 blocks on a frictionless surface"?

The concept of "3 blocks on a frictionless surface" is a physics problem that involves three blocks of different masses placed on a surface with no friction. This setup allows for the study of the forces and motion of the blocks without the interference of frictional forces.

2. How is the motion of the blocks affected by the absence of friction?

The absence of friction in this scenario means that there are no forces acting against the motion of the blocks. This allows the blocks to move without any external force slowing them down, resulting in a constant velocity.

3. What forces are acting on the blocks in this scenario?

In this scenario, there are two main forces acting on the blocks: the force of gravity and the normal force. The force of gravity pulls the blocks towards the ground, while the normal force from the surface pushes the blocks upwards to counteract the force of gravity.

4. How does the mass of the blocks affect their motion?

The mass of the blocks affects their motion by determining the amount of force needed to accelerate them. The greater the mass of the block, the more force is needed to move it at a certain velocity. In this scenario, the blocks with larger masses will require more force to reach the same velocity as the blocks with smaller masses.

5. What can be learned from studying "3 blocks on a frictionless surface"?

Studying "3 blocks on a frictionless surface" allows scientists to understand the relationship between forces, mass, and motion. It also helps in understanding the concept of inertia, as the blocks will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This scenario is also useful in studying the laws of motion and their applications in real-world situations.