Single variable calculus question. (first post)

In summary, the conversation is about how to use the first derivative test to find the relative extrema of a function. The method involves checking for points where the derivative is zero or does not exist, as well as checking the endpoints. There is also the possibility of a horizontal inflection point. The concept of the derivative being the gradient of the function is also discussed, with the key point being that at a turning point, the gradient is zero.
physicsstudent04
Hi I'm new to this forum.
I was wondering if anyone can explain to me how to do a first derivative test to find the relative extrema. I've been trying to read it, but it just isn't sinking in. thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a function is continuous and differentiable then local maximums amd minimums occur where the graph of a function is flat, so they occur where the derivative is zero.

So, when looking for maximums and minimums you only need to check endpoints, and points where the derivative is zero or doesn't exist.

There is third possibility for zero derivative points, horizontal inflection point. Example y=x3, at x=0.

thanks a lot guys. appreciate the help.

please open the attachment below, to get better picture...
(note : that the picture is the graph f(x) against x )

actually to see the better idea of first derivative by imagining it as a gradient of the graph of a fuction.

suppose I have fuction f(x)

when you derive it becomes f'(x)...
what is f'(x) ?

f'(x) is the gradient...

now look at the picture that there are 3 red straight lines.you can get line straight ,if and only if at the turning point like what you see in the graph

at the other point you will find the line is slope like both the blue line.

remember that straight line has gradient 0...that is to say, f'(x)=0

so to find either maxima or minima ,you must find value of x ,which can be subtituted into f'(x) and get value 0.

Attachments

• derivative.jpg
    derivative.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 473

1. What is single variable calculus?

Single variable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of one variable. It involves techniques for finding the derivative and integral of a function, as well as analyzing the behavior of functions.

2. What is the purpose of studying single variable calculus?

Studying single variable calculus helps us understand the fundamental concepts of calculus, which are essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also provides a foundation for more advanced topics in mathematics.

3. What are the main topics covered in single variable calculus?

The main topics covered in single variable calculus include limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, and integrals. These concepts are used to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and area under curves.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to understand single variable calculus?

While a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is helpful, single variable calculus can be understood by students with a basic understanding of these topics. It is important to have a willingness to learn and practice problem-solving skills.

5. What are some real-life applications of single variable calculus?

Single variable calculus has many real-life applications, such as predicting the path of a projectile, determining the maximum or minimum values of a function, and calculating the area under a curve. It is also used in fields like economics to analyze supply and demand curves, and in engineering to optimize designs for efficiency.