Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest: What are its Practical Uses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the practical uses of tablet PCs, particularly in regard to Microsoft's offer of $100,000 for a killer app for the TabletPC. The participants mention various potential uses such as taking notes, using CAD software, and using it in restaurants for taking orders. They also mention some concerns, such as the difficulty of writing with a stylus and the heat of the device after prolonged use. Overall, the conversation shows mixed opinions about the usefulness of tablet PCs and some skepticism about Microsoft's contest.
aychamo
So I saw that Microsoft is offering $100,000 for a killer app for the TabletPC.

http://www.ircspy.com/default.asp#Microsoft%20PC%20Developer%20Contest

What do you guys think of the TabletPC? I personally can't see much of a use for it in my own thing. I type tons faster than I could ever write, and there isn't a chance in hell the computer could interpret my horrible handwriting into text.

For writing anything, I'd much rather a very light laptop. Like that one that was in the other thread that was about the same size as a sheet of paper.

I could see if they were very light, like a primary care doctor carying one around while making rounds, etc, or seeing patients. It would be a great way to keep patient records.

And I've seen restaurants that use some type of portable computer thing to take orders and it sends them wirelessly to the kitchen (this was in Europe, years ago, mind you.)

I've never used a CAD software, but maybe for some type of easy to do CAD style thing?

Or like applications where all you do is click, etc, it would be so much easier to just point with the pin instantly than to move the mouse (especailly if you have to be standing up, moving, etc.)..

What do you see as practical uses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Great! Let's submit our original ideas to Microsoft, so they can steal them and make their own software without paying us a dime! :biggrin:

As for the tablet PCs themselves, I am actually pretty sure I am going to purchase one this summer. I am going to university and I think it would prove to be useful in replacing the traditional pen and paper when taking notes during classes. Usually I do type much faster than I write, and my handwriting is probably one of the worst you will ever see, but I am going to study physics and I can't imagine typing all the complex equations and symbols in Word or something else. Besides, these tablets are extremely light and portable, very easy to use and a lot more versatile than your normal notebook PCs. In my opinion anyway. :smile:

Last edited:
Going back to the handwriting issue for a second, it's important to note that while it's harder to write on a tablet PC with a pen it can improve your work. In my experience, bad handwriting usually follows from writing too fast (this is why I can write English much better than my native language, Hebrew). Writing on the tablet PC would force you to type a bit slowly, depending how accustomed you are to it, and thus improve your handwriting significantly. Most odds are that you would still type faster than you write, but it's not always convenient to type on a keyboard (meetings, working outdoors, classes).

I've used a Tablet PC. Specifically, an Acer Travelmate. I was skeptical at first but after using it on the road I was convinced that using the stylus pen is much easier than the tiny mousepad. If you get tired of using the tablet it also converts to a laptop with a simple flick of a switch.

On the road, your hands are much free to move around a wide area compared to using a laptop with your fingers bundled together left clicking and right clicking. I would recommend it if you're a student or a business traveller.

One thing you have to pay attention is the bottom plate gets really hot after using it for a while and at times, the pen requires some pressure to work at times.

I've used a Tablet PC. Specifically, an Acer Travelmate. I was skeptical at first but after using it on the road I was convinced that using the stylus pen is much easier than the tiny mousepad. If you get tired of using the tablet it also converts to a laptop with a simple flick of a switch.

On the road, your hands are much free to move around a wide area compared to using a laptop with your fingers bundled together left clicking and right clicking. I would recommend it if you're a student or a business traveller.

One thing you have to pay attention is the bottom plate gets really hot after using it for a while, and the pen requires some pressure to work at times.

1. What is the Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest?

The Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest is a competition organized by Microsoft to encourage developers to create innovative and practical uses for their TabletPC technology.

2. Who can participate in the Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest?

The contest is open to anyone who has the necessary skills and knowledge to develop software for the TabletPC platform, including professional developers, students, and hobbyists.

3. What are the practical uses of the TabletPC technology?

The TabletPC technology allows for a more portable and versatile computing experience, with features such as handwriting and speech recognition, touch screen capabilities, and the ability to convert into a traditional laptop form. This opens up a wide range of practical uses, such as note-taking, sketching, presenting, and more.

4. How are the winners of the Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest chosen?

The winners are chosen by a panel of judges based on criteria such as creativity, technical excellence, usefulness, and user experience. The judging process is transparent and fair to ensure the best submissions are recognized.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the Microsoft TabletPC Developer Contest?

Aside from the potential to win cash prizes and recognition for your work, participating in the contest allows developers to showcase their skills and creativity, gain valuable experience with the TabletPC technology, and potentially have their work featured by Microsoft.