Increasing Voltage of Potato Battery in Chemistry Class

In summary, the speaker has been working on a potato battery project in chemistry class and has achieved a maximum voltage of 15 volts. They are seeking suggestions for how to increase the voltage, such as soaking the potatoes in salt water. They clarify that they are using magnesium and copper as the metal components and would prefer materials that can be purchased at local stores. One suggestion is to connect several potato batteries in series, but the speaker mentions that they have already tried this with limited success.
stokes173
hey guys what's up?

just recently I've been working on this potato battery thingy in chemistry class and the highest i can get it is 15 volts. i knwo there are a lot of variables involved but are there any suggestions that you might think would help achieve a higher voltage? i was thinkin of soaking the potatoes in a salt saturated thing of water...(more sodium). any ideas would be greatly appreiciated.

ps- nothing to insane.. we are using magnesium and copper as the 2 metal things.. ie no lithium... and preferably materials that could be bought at the local stores.

thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How about connecting several potato batteries in series ?

er

well.. yeah I've done that already (sorry for not mentioning). we had about a 10 pnd bag, cut em up into 4ths and connected em all. the highest we got was 15... then after that it wouldn't go past 3...

1. How does a potato battery work?

A potato battery works by utilizing the chemical energy stored in the potato to create an electrical current. This is possible because potatoes contain phosphoric acid, which acts as an electrolyte, and also have a high concentration of starch, which acts as a conductor.

2. Can I use any type of potato for a potato battery?

Yes, you can use any type of potato for a potato battery. However, some types of potatoes may produce a higher voltage due to their higher starch content. Experiment with different types of potatoes to see which one works best.

3. How can I increase the voltage of my potato battery?

There are a few ways to increase the voltage of your potato battery. You can use multiple potatoes connected in series, add a salt bridge to increase the conductivity of the electrolyte, or use different types of metals as electrodes. Additionally, making sure the electrodes are closer together and the potato slices are thinner can also increase the voltage.

4. What materials do I need to make a potato battery?

To make a potato battery, you will need two different types of metal (such as zinc and copper), two wires, and a potato. You may also need a salt bridge and a voltmeter to measure the voltage.

5. Is a potato battery a safe experiment for a chemistry class?

Yes, a potato battery is generally considered a safe experiment for a chemistry class. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and safety glasses, and to handle the materials carefully.