2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the equation ## e^{2\pi i \mathbf{n\cdot J}/\hbar} |j,m\rangle = (-1)^{2j}|j,m\rangle ## holds true, where the term in front of the ket state on the left-hand side is a rotation operator through ##2\pi## angle about an arbitrary direction ##\mathbf{n}##. It is mentioned that this equation is from Ballentine's QM book and it is proven using the identity ## (\mathbf{ \sigma \cdot n})^2 = 1## for spin one-half particles. The conversation also touches upon how this proof may be more delicate for half-integer
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Prove that ## e^{2\pi i \mathbf{n\cdot J}/\hbar} |j,m\rangle = (-1)^{2j}|j,m\rangle ##. This equation is from Ballentine's QM book. The term in front of the ket state in the LHS is a rotation operator through ##2\pi## angle about an arbitrary direction ##\mathbf{n}##.

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove this for spin one half particle using the identity ## (\mathbf{ \sigma \cdot n})^2 = 1##, but not for an arbitrary j. Does he simply quote this from the result of E. P. Wigner's work, as also stated in the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my edition of Ballentine (1st edition), he outlines the proof in the remaining part of the paragraph where the equation is given. I think I follow his argument. See if you can pinpoint where you have difficulty with his reasoning.

On a second thought it makes sense if I visualize it as a vector in R3 rotated about arbitrary direction by ##2\pi##, it should go back to its original position. But it becomes a somewhat delicate issue for half-integer spin states. Maybe I should go through the entire section first and see if it proves also for half-integer spins.

Related to 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket

1. What is a "2pi rotation" of angular momentum eigenket?

A "2pi rotation" refers to a full rotation of 360 degrees in a circular motion. In the context of angular momentum, it represents a complete rotation of the axis of rotation.

2. What is an eigenket in relation to angular momentum?

An eigenket is a vector that represents the state of a quantum system with a specific value of angular momentum. It is a mathematical representation of the physical property of angular momentum in quantum mechanics.

3. Why is the 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket significant?

The 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket is significant because it is the smallest possible rotation that brings the system back to its original state. This is known as the period of the system and is important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

4. How is the 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket related to quantum mechanics?

The 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it relates to the quantization of angular momentum in quantum systems. It helps to explain the discrete energy levels and the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

5. Can the 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket be observed in real-world applications?

Yes, the 2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket can be observed in various real-world applications, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and quantum computing. It is also used in understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators and in the study of molecular structures.