2NOR gate rise and fall time question

In summary: W/L's? hmm I am not sure about gain. I know the capacitance varies over process because its related to the W/L's of the transistors also the oxide capacitance.as for temperature i know its related to the mobility, meaning as temperature goes up mobility goes down and as mobility goes down the delay through a gate goes down as well, and from previous knowledge to match worse cases i would probably just adjust the W/L's of the transistors.
tdotengineer

Homework Statement

True or false:
a two input nor gate is designed to have the same worst case rise and fall times. The best case fall time is smaller than the best case rise time in this gate.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The second part i get, the best case fall time is <best case rise time because for the fall time there are two paths for the current to to through in the parallel nmos tranisstors. But the rise time it still has to go through two series transistors?

thats my guess. but i don't get why the first part is true.
any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
tdotengineer said:

Homework Statement

True or false:
a two input nor gate is designed to have the same worst case rise and fall times. The best case fall time is smaller than the best case rise time in this gate.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The second part i get, the best case fall time is <best case rise time because for the fall time there are two paths for the current to to through in the parallel nmos tranisstors. But the rise time it still has to go through two series transistors?

thats my guess. but i don't get why the first part is true.
any help?

Can you post the equivalent circuit you are using for this? You can build NOR circuits lots of different ways...

berkeman said:
Can you post the equivalent circuit you are using for this? You can build NOR circuits lots of different ways...

oh sorry, this should do: nevermind the vdd value. Also please assume minimum transistor sizes (not stated in the question.. maybe I am wrong about assuming that)

img101.gif

Attachments

• img101.gif
    img101.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 466
tdotengineer said:
oh sorry, this should do: nevermind the vdd value. Also please assume minimum transistor sizes (not stated in the question.. maybe I am wrong about assuming that)

img101.gif

Ah, that helps.

What-all determines the output slew rate of the gate?

berkeman said:
Ah, that helps.

What-all determines the output slew rate of the gate?

hmm, as for this course we don't deal with slew rate (not for now atleast), mostly
rise and fall times basically t(rise or fall)=1.2 Req.C aproximations

but looking up slew rate (wasnt sure what it exactly is)
e26070ff571c3008e6c0febf5fdf70c4.png
looks like it deals with saturation current and capacitance and gain (which I am not dealing with in this course as of now)

so some how relating the knowledge i just got from slew rate and what i know from my course I am finding the common thing to be the output capacitance

also the resistance of the network effects the delay times as well.

tdotengineer said:
hmm, as for this course we don't deal with slew rate (not for now atleast), mostly
rise and fall times basically t(rise or fall)=1.2 Req.C aproximations

but looking up slew rate (wasnt sure what it exactly is)
e26070ff571c3008e6c0febf5fdf70c4.png
looks like it deals with saturation current and capacitance and gain (which I am not dealing with in this course as of now)

so some how relating the knowledge i just got from slew rate and what i know from my course I am finding the common thing to be the output capacitance

also the resistance of the network effects the delay times as well.

I meant for slew rate to be one measure of the rise and fall times. Sorry if the term was confusing.

So yes, gate capacitance and output capacitance both will slow down the slew rate (lengthen the rise and fall times). What-all affects the gain? And how do both of those vary over process and temperature? What would you be doing to match the "worst case" slowest corner for the NMOS and PMOS devices? If you were in another corner of the process and temperature, which device changes more and why?

berkeman said:
I meant for slew rate to be one measure of the rise and fall times. Sorry if the term was confusing.

So yes, gate capacitance and output capacitance both will slow down the slew rate (lengthen the rise and fall times). What-all affects the gain? And how do both of those vary over process and temperature? What would you be doing to match the "worst case" slowest corner for the NMOS and PMOS devices? If you were in another corner of the process and temperature, which device changes more and why?

hmm I am not sure about gain. I know the capacitance varies over process because its related to the W/L's of the transistors also the oxide capacitance.

as for temperature i know its related to the mobility, meaning as temperature goes up mobility goes down and as mobility goes down the delay through a gate goes down as well, and from previous knowledge to match worse cases i would probably just adjust the W/L's of the transistors.

what do you mean by corner?

tdotengineer said:
hmm I am not sure about gain. I know the capacitance varies over process because its related to the W/L's of the transistors also the oxide capacitance.

as for temperature i know its related to the mobility, meaning as temperature goes up mobility goes down and as mobility goes down the delay through a gate goes down as well, and from previous knowledge to match worse cases i would probably just adjust the W/L's of the transistors.

what do you mean by corner?

See the Process Corners link off of this wikipedia IC design article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit_design

The reason I ask is because it sounds like this problem is asking for how the output slew rate changes for NMOS versus PMOS transistors (I would guess over temperature and process). Like, if one or the other had a larger variation of gain with temperature, that would help you answer the question, right?

BTW, I believe this is a small typo in the quoted text above:

as mobility goes down the delay through a gate goes down as well

tdotengineer said:

Homework Statement

True or false:

This is not so easy to answer specifically to your course question without knowing some background.

What equations have you been given that characterized rise and fall times involving circuit parameters--and perhaps output loading.

Given these, then look for any change such that trise(P1)/tfall(P1) ≠ trise(P2)/tfall(P2), where the parameters, P could be anything such as gate-source capacitance that varies in process.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
See the Process Corners link off of this wikipedia IC design article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit_design

The reason I ask is because it sounds like this problem is asking for how the output slew rate changes for NMOS versus PMOS transistors (I would guess over temperature and process). Like, if one or the other had a larger variation of gain with temperature, that would help you answer the question, right?

BTW, I believe this is a small typo in the quoted text above:
yes i believe so. I will have to think about it a little since my term test is today , but yes there was a typo, as mobility goes down the delay goes up!

Phrak said:
This is not so easy to answer specifically to your course question without knowing some background.

What equations have you been given that characterized rise and fall times involving circuit parameters--and perhaps output loading.

Given these, then look for any change such that trise(P1)/tfall(P1) ≠ trise(P2)/tfall(P2), where the parameters, P could be anything such as gate-source capacitance that varies in process.
yes i apologize, i was probably not clear enough. I'll that in mind for the future. Off to school now!

Related to 2NOR gate rise and fall time question

What is a 2NOR gate?

A 2NOR gate is a logic gate that has two inputs and one output. It performs the logical operation of NOR, which means that the output is only high (or 1) if both inputs are low (or 0).

What is the purpose of a 2NOR gate?

A 2NOR gate is often used in electronic circuits to implement Boolean logic functions. It is particularly useful for creating circuits that perform logical negation, as it can be used to invert the output of another gate.

What is rise time and fall time in relation to a 2NOR gate?

Rise time and fall time refer to the time it takes for the output of a 2NOR gate to change from low to high or high to low, respectively. These times are affected by the internal circuitry and components of the gate, and can impact the overall performance of the gate in a circuit.

How are rise time and fall time measured in a 2NOR gate?

Rise time and fall time are typically measured in nanoseconds (ns) and can be determined by observing the output signal on an oscilloscope. The time it takes for the signal to change from 10% to 90% of its final value is considered the rise time, and the time it takes to change from 90% to 10% is the fall time.

What factors can affect the rise and fall time of a 2NOR gate?

The rise and fall time of a 2NOR gate can be impacted by factors such as the design and quality of the gate's internal circuitry, the type and quality of the components used, and external factors like temperature and voltage fluctuations. These factors can influence the speed and accuracy of the gate's output, making it important to choose high-quality components and properly design the circuit for optimal performance.