2nd Order DE - Power series

In summary, in the conversation, the person is discussing their process for finding expressions in terms of x^j and setting negative subscript coefficients equal to zero. They also mention being given initial values for y and y' and determining the values of a_0 and a_1 based on those initial values. They then question the value of a_-_1 and mention the other expressions they are left with when finding other values of a_j. The summary also notes that typically, negative subscript coefficients are initially set to zero in series solutions for differential equations.
bhajee
After setting out in the sums and collecting the terms in [tex]x^j[/tex] I'm left with a series of expressions in
[tex]a_2, a_3[/tex] etc as I believe I'm supposed to. However my first expression reads
[tex]2a_{2}+2a_{1}+a_-_{1}=0[/tex]

Now I'm told that
[tex]y(o) = 1[/tex] and
[tex]y'(o) = 0[/tex]
I think this means that
[tex]a_0 = 1[/tex]
and
[tex]a_1 = 0[/tex]

does this mean that
[tex]a_-_1 = x[/tex]?

(My other expressions are
[tex]6a_3+6a_2+a_0=0[/tex]
and
[tex]24a_4+12a_3+a_1=0[/tex])

i'm always left with an
[tex]a_-_1[/tex]
when finding the other
[tex]a_{j}[/tex]'s

Physics news on Phys.org
usually, negative subscript coefficients are set equal to zero initially in series solutions for differential equations.

It is correct that after setting up the power series and collecting terms in x^j, you will be left with a series of expressions in a_j. In order to solve for the coefficients a_j, you will need to use the initial conditions y(0) = 1 and y'(0) = 0. These conditions will give you the values for a_0 and a_1, as you have correctly stated.

However, it is not correct to say that a_-1 = x. The subscript j in a_j represents the power of x, so a_-1 would mean a coefficient for x^-1, which is not present in the power series. Instead, you will need to use the equations you have listed (2a_2+2a_1+a_-1=0, 6a_3+6a_2+a_0=0, and 24a_4+12a_3+a_1=0) to solve for the remaining coefficients.

For example, to solve for a_2, you can substitute in the values a_0 = 1 and a_1 = 0 into the first equation, and then solve for a_2. Similarly, you can use the second equation to solve for a_3 and the third equation to solve for a_4. This process can be continued for higher values of j to find the remaining coefficients.

So while a_-1 is not equal to x, it is still an important coefficient that needs to be solved for in order to find the solution to the second order differential equation using the power series method.

Related to 2nd Order DE - Power series

1. What is a 2nd Order Differential Equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function. It can be written in the form of y'' = f(x,y,y'), where y' is the first derivative and y'' is the second derivative. These types of equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration and change over time.

2. What is a Power Series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑ an(x-c)n, where an are the coefficients and c is a constant. It is a type of mathematical representation that allows us to express a function as a sum of powers of x. Power series are commonly used in calculus to approximate functions and solve differential equations.

3. How are 2nd Order Differential Equations solved using Power Series?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation using power series, we first substitute the power series expression for the unknown function into the equation. Then, we equate coefficients of the same powers of x on both sides of the equation and solve for the coefficients. This process is repeated until we have enough terms to approximate the solution to the desired accuracy.

4. What are the advantages of using Power Series to solve 2nd Order Differential Equations?

One of the main advantages of using power series to solve 2nd order differential equations is that it allows us to find an approximate solution for complex equations that cannot be solved analytically. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to other numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

5. Are there any limitations to solving 2nd Order Differential Equations using Power Series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using power series to solve 2nd order differential equations. One limitation is that it can only be used for equations with constant coefficients. Additionally, the convergence of the power series may be an issue in some cases, requiring us to use other numerical methods to approximate the solution.