2nd order characteristic equation standart form

In summary, the standard form for a second order system is H(s)=K(ω_n^2)/(s^2+2ζω_n s+ω_n^2) for 0≤ζ≤1. However, sometimes the system may not follow this equation, such as in the case of s+1/(s^2+5s+3). In this case, the numerator term does not correspond to the natural frequency exhibited in the denominator. The standardized expression with a unity co-efficient for the denominator's s² term can give the values for ζ and ω_n. The numerator can be seen as a gain factor, K, multiplied by ω_n^2. It is important to
zoom1
A second order system has the following standart form;

http://controls-design.com/mathtex/mathtex.cgi?H%28s%29%3DK%5Cfrac%7B%5Comega_n%5E2%7D%7Bs%5E2%2B2%5Czeta%5Comega_n%20s%2B%5Comega_n%5E2%7D%20%5Cmbox%7B%20for%20%7D%200%20%5Cle%20%5Czeta%20%5Cle%201

However, sometimes the system I confront, doesn't hold that equation. I mean something like
s+1/(s^2 + 5s + 3)

At that point, it looks like the s+1 term on the numerator corresponds to Wn^2
But it shouldn't be if I'm not mistaken.

So, what am I supposed to do in such cases, in order to find the let's say damping ratio ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
zoom1 said:
However, sometimes the system I confront, doesn't hold that equation. I mean something like
s+1/(s^2 + 5s + 3)

At that point, it looks like the s+1 term on the numerator corresponds to Wn^2
The numerator has nothing to do with the natural frequency exhibited in the denominator. Once you have standardized the expression to have a unity co-efficient for the denominator's s² term, then the other terms of the denominator give you ζ and Ѡn. The numerator can be thought of as K.Ѡn², where K is a gain factor, a constant, and equals whatever it evaluates as. :smile:
BTW, I believe you are short of a pair of parentheses in your expression; here, borrow a spare pair of mine: ( )

BTW (2) you didn't get your latex right.http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 2nd order characteristic equation standart form

What is a 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form?

A 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form is a mathematical representation of a second-order system that describes the behavior of a physical system over time. It is typically written in the form of a polynomial equation with a quadratic term and two coefficients.

What is the purpose of a 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form?

The purpose of a 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form is to determine the stability and behavior of a system. By solving the equation, we can analyze the system's response to different inputs and predict its behavior over time.

How is a 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form solved?

A 2nd order characteristic equation in standard form can be solved by using various methods, such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. The solution will provide the values of the system's roots, which determine its stability and response.

What are the applications of 2nd order characteristic equations in standard form?

2nd order characteristic equations in standard form have applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and analyze the behavior of systems such as mechanical oscillators, electrical circuits, and economic models.

What are the limitations of 2nd order characteristic equations in standard form?

One limitation of 2nd order characteristic equations in standard form is that they can only be used to analyze linear systems. Additionally, they may not accurately represent complex systems with multiple inputs and non-linear behavior.