2nd Law of Thermo: Specific entropy

In summary: Your Name] In summary, to find the change in specific entropy of a parcel of dry air lifted isothermally from 1000 hPa to 850 hPa, you will need to use the specific gas constant and divide the change in entropy by the mass of the parcel. However, without information on the mass of the parcel, it is not possible to find the specific entropy.
imscavok

Homework Statement

A parcel of dry air is lifted isothermally such that its pressure decreases from 1000 hPa to 850 hPa. Calculate the change in specific entropy of the parcel.

Homework Equations

ΔS=n*R*ln(p1/p2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using R=8.314 J/mol K
p1=1000hPa
p2=850hPa

And assuming n=1

ΔS=1.35J/K

---

The problem is that's just the change in entropy. I need the change in specific entropy, which units are in J/g*K.

The problem gives no information on the amount of mass within the parcel. Even if I had the mass, I'm not sure how I would find the specific entropy with it. What am I missing?

edit: Nevermind. R is specific for dry air which is R=287 J/kg*K

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. So the specific entropy is just the change in entropy divided by the mass. In this case, ΔS=0.0047 J/g*K.

Thank you for your question. To find the change in specific entropy, you will need to use the specific gas constant, which is different for different gases. For dry air, the specific gas constant is 287 J/kg*K. This means that to find the specific entropy, you will need to divide the change in entropy (1.35 J/K) by the mass of the parcel. However, the problem does not give information on the mass of the parcel, so you will not be able to find the specific entropy without this information.

If you had information on the mass of the parcel, you would simply divide the change in entropy by the mass to find the specific entropy. In this case, the specific entropy would be 0.0047 J/g*K.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of specific entropy. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to 2nd Law of Thermo: Specific entropy

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In simpler terms, entropy can be understood as a measure of disorder or randomness in a system, and the second law states that this disorder will always tend to increase.

2. What is specific entropy?

Specific entropy, also known as entropy per unit mass, is a thermodynamic property that describes the amount of disorder in a given substance per unit mass. It is measured in units of joules per kilogram per kelvin (J/kgK) and is often denoted as "s". The specific entropy of a substance can vary depending on its temperature and pressure.

3. How is specific entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics is closely related to specific entropy because it is a measure of the overall disorder or randomness within a system. As the second law states that entropy will always tend to increase, the specific entropy of a system will also increase over time as it becomes more disordered.

4. What factors affect the specific entropy of a substance?

The specific entropy of a substance can be affected by a number of factors, including temperature, pressure, and composition. Generally, as the temperature of a substance increases, its specific entropy will also increase. Additionally, substances with more complex molecular structures tend to have higher specific entropy values than simpler substances.

5. How is specific entropy used in practical applications?

The concept of specific entropy is used in a variety of practical applications, particularly in the fields of thermodynamics and energy engineering. It is often used in the design and analysis of power generation systems, refrigeration systems, and other industrial processes where understanding and controlling entropy is crucial for efficiency and performance.