2D motion: frames of refrence: calculating velocity,heading and time

In summary, the pilot needs to fly to city A, 800km north of their present location with a plane capable of an air velocity of 300km/h. There is also a wind blowing at 120 km/h [S40°W]. To determine the observed ground velocity, the wind vector is broken up into components and added to the northward velocity of 300 km/h, resulting in a hypotenuse of 241 km/h. The original heading should have been [N 22.4° E] and the flight time to city A would depend on the velocity of 241 km/h. Further calculations using basic trig and the Pythagorean theorem can be used to determine the exact flight time.
rahrahrah1
°

Homework Statement

A pilot wishes to fly to city A, 800km north of the present location. The plane is capable of an air velocity of 300km/h. There is a wind blowing 120 km/h [S40°W]
a) if she flies directly to city A, what will be her observed ground velocity?
b) what should her orignal heading have been?
c) what will her flight time to city A be?

Homework Equations

cosine law
basic trig (SOH CAH TOA, Pythagorean)
v = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I realize that the question can either be answered using cosine law or broken up into components. I decided to use components.
I therefore made a vector table and broke up the wind vector. So that I got 77.1km/h south and 92km/h west. I knew the pilot wanted to travel north and could do so at a velocity of 300 km/h. I added this vector to the table. I came up with an right angle triangle:
- 223 km/h north
- 92km/h west
I then solved for the Hypotenuse, which came out to be 241 km/h. I assumed this was the velocity I was looking for.

b) I'm guessing they are asking for the heading that corresponds to the velocity that was calculated in a)
using the same right traingle that I had built from components, I used basic trig and calculated the heading to be: [N 22.4° E]

c) I know this is where my 800 km comes into play, however, I'm stumped as where to go from here and concerned whether my results calculated for a) and b) are actually right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was reading over my post and I can't remember, do I include the 300km/h in my orignal component triangle?

Related to 2D motion: frames of refrence: calculating velocity,heading and time

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

2. How do you calculate velocity in 2D motion?

To calculate velocity in 2D motion, you need to know both the speed and direction of the object. You can use the formula velocity = distance/time, where distance is the total displacement and time is the total time taken.

3. What is a frame of reference in 2D motion?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system used to describe the position and motion of an object. It is used as a reference point to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

4. How do you determine the heading of an object in 2D motion?

The heading of an object in 2D motion is the direction in which the object is moving. It can be determined by using a compass or by calculating the angle between the object's velocity vector and a reference axis.

5. How do you calculate the time taken for an object to reach a certain position in 2D motion?

To calculate the time taken for an object to reach a certain position, you can use the formula time = distance/velocity, where distance is the displacement and velocity is the speed and direction of the object.