2D heat equation using gauss-seidel method

In summary, the individual has reached out for help with a 2D heat equation BV problem in which they were given a square plate with given values on all four edges. They have made progress by deriving a matrix formulation using FDM approximations and have solved for the temperature values at the nodes. They now need assistance with proceeding with the iteration process, and it is recommended that they update the matrix formulation and solve for the temperature values at each iteration until the desired %relative error is achieved. It is noted that the number of iterations needed may vary depending on factors such as the size of the problem and the accuracy of the initial guess.
strythe
Hi guys. Badly need some help. We were given this 2D heat equation BV problem. On the square plate, values on all four edges are given (2 are Neumann, 2 are Dirichlet). And we are to solve this problem using FDM, on a 5point stencil.

So I used FDM approximations to derive the formula for the temperature at the nodes in terms of its adjacent nodes. What I got was a matrix formulation: [Aij][Tj]=[Cj] where A is the coefficient matrix, T --> variables, C --> constants. So I was able to solve for the temperature at the nodes. Then, we have to iterate the whole Gauss Seidel process until a certain %relative error is achieved.

How do I proceed with the iteration after the first one? Since from what I can think of, the first temperature values obtained doesn't change the matrix formulation. Or am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your 2D heat equation BV problem. It sounds like you have made good progress so far by deriving the formula for the temperature at the nodes using FDM approximations and setting up a matrix formulation.

To answer your question about the iteration process, you are correct that the first temperature values obtained will not change the matrix formulation. However, the temperature values will change after each iteration, which will then affect the matrix formulation in the next iteration. This means that you will need to update the matrix formulation and solve for the temperature values at each iteration until the desired %relative error is achieved.

To proceed with the iteration process, you can follow these steps:

1. Start with an initial guess for the temperature values at the nodes. This can be any reasonable value, such as the average of the boundary temperatures.

2. Use the matrix formulation you derived to solve for the temperature values at the nodes.

3. Update the matrix formulation using the new temperature values obtained from the previous step.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the desired %relative error is achieved.

It is important to note that the number of iterations required to achieve the desired %relative error will depend on factors such as the size of the problem, the boundary conditions, and the accuracy of your initial guess. You may need to experiment with different initial guesses and/or increase the number of iterations to achieve the desired accuracy.

I hope this helps you proceed with your iteration process. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your problem!

Related to 2D heat equation using gauss-seidel method

1. What is the 2D heat equation?

The 2D heat equation is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat over a two-dimensional surface. It takes into account factors such as temperature, time, and thermal conductivity to calculate the change in heat at different points on the surface.

2. How does the Gauss-Seidel method work?

The Gauss-Seidel method is an iterative algorithm used to solve systems of linear equations. It works by repeatedly updating the solution at each point based on the values at neighboring points, until a desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. Why is the Gauss-Seidel method used for solving the 2D heat equation?

The Gauss-Seidel method is used for solving the 2D heat equation because it is an efficient and accurate numerical method for solving systems of linear equations. It also takes into account the boundary conditions and can handle complex geometries.

4. What are the advantages of using the Gauss-Seidel method for the 2D heat equation?

The advantages of using the Gauss-Seidel method for the 2D heat equation are that it is computationally efficient, can handle complex geometries, and can easily incorporate boundary conditions. It also converges faster than other methods, leading to quicker solutions.

5. What are the limitations of using the Gauss-Seidel method for the 2D heat equation?

One limitation of using the Gauss-Seidel method for the 2D heat equation is that it may not converge for certain types of systems or boundary conditions. It also requires a stable and well-posed problem, meaning that the solution should not be too sensitive to small changes in the input parameters.