2D construction made of square blocks. Breaking by gravity

In summary, the conversation is about a computer program that simulates building constructions with a single type of block on a grid with simplified physics. The program calculates the pressure and torque on each block based on its mass and the mass of the blocks it supports. The user is seeking resources and guidance on how to solve some issues with the program, particularly in calculating the pressure and torque on irregularly shaped objects.
thomasvt
Hi,

Imagine: a computer program like 2D Lego with only 1 type of block (a small square one) with which you can create constructions.

Blocks can be placed on an invisible grid. There is gravity, and boxes can't fly, so you need to build any construction from the ground up. Boxes are always "glued" to their immediate neighbours, so you can create anything you like, as long as you abide by some simplified physics that will be explained below.

Blocks have mass, and hence, weight.

Blocks don't leave their gridcell position because of bending or deforming, that does not exist. They only can do a few things for which I need to:

* calculate the pressure for each block due to the mass of blocks that it supports.
* calculate torque or pulling forces due to vertically hanging boxes or horizontal constructions with groundsupport only on one end so the other side causes a torque due to gravity.

For now, I actually would like some directions in reading material that could help solving the mini-problems in this system to combine them in an iterative system with cumulating forces.

Due to a lack of knowing how this physically works in reality, I think, I'm making mistakes in the abstraction of reality to my simplified system because i get some problems.

I have done a lot myself already, but have some anomalies in my algorithm. But because a session time-out deleted my last big attempt to post the entire story, I don't feel like redoing that work unless someone is interested in guiding me through this.

So for now I'm hoping for some magical resource that explains me some questions:

* when creating a construction with boxes resting on one or more supporting walls of boxes, how can I generically (iteratively) find out which block supports which other blocks so each block knows its pressure.

I had a system for this, but it has a flaw when using a supporting pillar of width > 2. Only the left and rightmost columns of boxes of the pillar support almost the entire structure above, the middle columns of boxes does almost nothing.

My system uses a shortest-path-to-ground technique to find out what boxes carry whichother boxes. And if a wide construction is put on a pillar of 3 boxes width, the entire left side of the construction rests on the leftmost column of the pillar, and the right side of the construction rests on the rightmost column op the pillar. Both, because that is their shortest path to the ground. Any middle column of the pillar is ignored and carries almost nothing.

* when creating a horizontal construction, the further you go horizontally, the more weight is wanting to go down which causes a torque on each box which cumulates depending on how many boxes are hanging further down the road. I want to know how to measure this cumulating force by seeing how two boxes that are glued together react on each other in function of gravity. I have a system now that keeps track of forces in the four corners of each box, and deals with most of the problem, but something tells me it's not entirely correct.

So, thanks for reading 'til here, thanks even more for answering :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me replace the question above by its essence:

I have irregularly (and unpredicatbly) shaped objects. These objects are composed of square boxes with all the same mass m.

The boxes are glued together to form the irregular object.

Two examples:

http://www.redarcher.net/examples.gif

These two objects are glued to the ground (the line below each example).

Now, I need a generic way to calculate for each box of such objects:
* the pressure it is enduring (due to the mass above) e.g the blue box in the upper example carries about 1/3 of the total mass, but how do I know this?
* hanging boxes pull downward: this makes the glue between boxes endure a pulling force (green lines) or a torque (red lines). Can i calculate this?

The second one will have to do with keeping track of the forces in the four corners of each box.

I have solved quite a bit of the puzzle already, but have some problems, so I would like your ideas.

Any solutions or suggestions on things i can read to understand this better?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to 2D construction made of square blocks. Breaking by gravity

1. How does gravity affect the stability of a 2D construction made of square blocks?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the stability of a 2D construction made of square blocks. As the blocks are stacked on top of each other, the force of gravity pulls them downwards, creating a downward force on the structure. If the structure is not stable enough to withstand this downward force, it will collapse.

2. Can the shape and size of the square blocks affect the stability of the construction?

Yes, the shape and size of the square blocks can greatly affect the stability of the construction. Smaller blocks may be more prone to tipping over due to their smaller base, while larger blocks may be too heavy for the structure to support. Additionally, using blocks of different shapes (e.g. rectangles) can create uneven weight distribution, making the structure less stable.

3. How can we improve the stability of a 2D construction made of square blocks?

There are several ways to improve the stability of a 2D construction made of square blocks. One way is to use a larger base by stacking the blocks in a pyramid shape, with the wider base at the bottom. Another way is to interlock the blocks by alternating their direction, creating a stronger bond between them. Additionally, using heavier and denser blocks can also improve the stability of the structure.

4. Is there a limit to how tall a 2D construction made of square blocks can be before it collapses?

The stability of a 2D construction made of square blocks depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the blocks, their arrangement, and the strength of the base. Therefore, there is no specific limit to how tall the structure can be before it collapses. However, it is important to ensure that the structure is stable and balanced to avoid collapse.

5. How can we simulate the effects of gravity on a 2D construction made of square blocks?

To simulate the effects of gravity on a 2D construction made of square blocks, we can use a physical model and observe its behavior when different forces are applied. We can also use computer simulations and virtual models to test how the structure would behave under different conditions. Additionally, we can conduct experiments by varying the size, shape, and weight of the blocks to observe how they affect the stability of the structure.