2D Artificial Evolution System

In summary, The conversation discusses developing a 2D artificial evolution program and seeking input and discussion from others. The system involves a black box with analog input signals, and mutations are made on these signals to improve performance. There are still some unresolved problems and the desired outcome is to find the best set of rules through evolution. The field of genetic programming is mentioned as a related topic.
longshot_nl
Hi i am new to this forum, i hope i post this in the right thread.

I am developing a 2D artificial evolution program and i am wondering what other people here think about the idear and maybe discuss this in depth.

The system
The system is a black box with x analog input signals.
10 of these are created with small differences.
Only the best 1 is kept depending on the desired results.
This one is again cloned into 10 with small mutations and so on.
I don't want to make each mutation a learning system, everything must be based on static rules as long as the system is alive so the best rules can be isolated.

mutations
The changes are made on the input signals.
A input signal could be 'distance to nearest object sensor 1'.
The changes can be made like 'angle of sensor 1', 'relevance of sensor 1' and 'angle of sensor 1' which determines if other sensors are more important.
Maybe even mutations like 'add sensor' or 'add sensor that senses only material' so it can evolve to eat stuff or not to bounce off of certain materials.
I can also change the speed.

Desicions
At first i only want the system to make 4 decisions:
- go faster / slower - there is (un)certainty according to the system.
- turn left or right depending on the sensors.
These decisions could be made depending on the sensors.

Problems
I have no complete image of this system in my mind.
There are some problems i have not figured out yet.
Like should the system have memory and how should i make this.

Experiments
At first i want the system to move through some environment without bouncing.
Then i want to add more stuff.
The mutation that survives is the one that mostly obays the rules i write.
These could be 'travel as far as possible without bumping into stuff' or 'find as much food as possible' and so on.
Any desired outcome should evolve into a different mutation, that's what i want to find out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be informed about the field of genetic programming. That is when we allow algorithms to "evolve" keeping the best and discarding the worst. There has been a lot of research on genetic programming and there are open source software projects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_programming

Related to 2D Artificial Evolution System

What is a 2D Artificial Evolution System?

A 2D Artificial Evolution System is a computer program that simulates the process of evolution in a 2-dimensional environment. It uses algorithms and rules to mimic the principles of natural selection, genetic variation, and reproduction to create new generations of virtual organisms.

What is the purpose of a 2D Artificial Evolution System?

The purpose of a 2D Artificial Evolution System is to study and understand the process of evolution in a controlled and reproducible manner. It can also be used to explore the effects of different environmental factors on the evolution of organisms and to test evolutionary theories and hypotheses.

How is a 2D Artificial Evolution System different from real evolution?

A 2D Artificial Evolution System is a simplified and abstract representation of real evolution. It does not take into account all the complexities and variables of natural environments and organisms. It also relies on predetermined algorithms and rules, whereas real evolution is guided by natural selection and random mutations.

What are the potential applications of a 2D Artificial Evolution System?

A 2D Artificial Evolution System can have various applications, including the development of artificial intelligence and robotics, optimization of complex systems, and design and testing of new drugs and materials. It can also be used in educational and recreational settings to demonstrate the principles of evolution.

What are the ethical considerations of using a 2D Artificial Evolution System?

The use of a 2D Artificial Evolution System raises ethical concerns, especially when it involves creating and manipulating virtual organisms. There is a risk of creating unintended consequences and potentially harmful species. It is important to consider the ethical implications and potential consequences before conducting experiments with a 2D Artificial Evolution System.