Calculating Tension in a Deflected Rope: A Simple Physics Problem

• Thread starter StephenPrivitera
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a rope with length L and tension T. The question is asking for T in terms of L, d, and F, which are the length of the rope, the deflection distance, and the force applied at the midpoint, respectively. The person who is summarizing the content provides a solution to the problem, using the equation 2Tsinθ=F and explaining the use of the Greek letter theta. However, they discover that the book contains errors in the problem and share their findings with the other person. The conversation ends with a discussion about the book and its mistakes.
StephenPrivitera
The book and I aren't getting along tonight. Maybe you can help.
A rope of length L has a tension T. Someone pushes on the rope with a force F at its midpoint and deflects the rope by a distance d. What is T is terms of L,d and F.
This is so simple I won't even explain my work.
2Tsinθ=F
sinθ=d/(L/2)=2d/L (approx)
so
[tex]T=\frac{FL}{4d}[/tex]
Right?
The prob. in the book had numbers, but in the end I was off by a factor of 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok well this is what I'm getting. instead of using some greek letter for the angle, i'll use H.

forces balancing:
F = 2Tsin(H)
T = F/2sin(H)

length of rope used by the angle is L/2.
since L is the hypotinuse, sin(H) = d/(L/2)
sin(H) = 2d/L

sub that into the first equation:
T = F/2(2d/L)
T = F/(4d/L)
T = FL/4d

I get the same thing.

I too got the same value i.e. t=FL/4d

BOOK's WRONG AHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by StephenPrivitera
BOOK's WRONG AHAHAHAHA!
What book are you using? Seems like it has quite a few mistakes.

I know. I've found at least four in the last two chapters, and I've verified these with my professor, so it's not just stupid Stephen being less smart than the author. The book is PHYSICS by Ohanian 2ed.

What is an "Absurdly Easy Tension Problem"?

An absurdly easy tension problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the tension in a string or rope that is suspended between two points. These types of problems are considered easy because they often involve simple calculations and do not require advanced physics concepts.

What are the key factors in solving an "Absurdly Easy Tension Problem"?

The key factors in solving an absurdly easy tension problem are understanding the basic principles of tension, such as the tension being equal throughout a string or rope that is under constant tension, and using basic trigonometry to determine the angles and forces involved.

What are some common examples of "Absurdly Easy Tension Problems"?

Some common examples of absurdly easy tension problems include calculating the tension in a rope that is holding up a hanging object, determining the tension in a cable that is supporting a bridge, or finding the tension in a string that is attached to a pulley system.

Why are "Absurdly Easy Tension Problems" important to understand?

Understanding absurdly easy tension problems can help build a foundation for more complex physics concepts. These types of problems also have practical applications in real-world situations, such as engineering and construction.

What are some tips for solving an "Absurdly Easy Tension Problem"?

Some tips for solving an absurdly easy tension problem include drawing a clear diagram of the situation, labeling all forces and angles, and breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts. It's also important to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.