Find Derivative of y=2^x Using Definition

In summary: Just saying "it doesn't seem hard" does not make it so!In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of y=2^x using the definition of a derivative. The approach of using the definition makes things much harder, so many people prefer to define ln(x) as the integral of (1/t)dt. It is possible to prove properties of ln(x) and ex by defining them as inverse functions of each other. The derivative of ax is (ln a) ax. To solve for the derivative using the definition, one needs to show that the limit of (a^h-1)/h exists and then show that, if a=2, the limit is ln(2). This limit can be
hackensack
I need to find the derivitive of y=2^x using the definition of derivitive.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far? What does the definition of derivative say?

This was also posted in the calculus section and there are about 10 replies there.

I doubt this is a suitable problem for a novice. even showing convergence is tough. i will look at the other posted answers. there is a good reason people start from the integral definition of ln(x) to derive this result.

If f(x)= ax, the f(x+h)= aa+x= axah so
f(a+ h)- f(a)= ax(ah- 1).

The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2).

Showing that that limit exists is sufficiently non-trivial that many people (myself included), as mathwonk said, prefer to define ln(x) as the integral, from 1 to x of (1/t)dt. From that, it is possible to prove all properties of ln(x) including (trivially) that the derivative is 1/x. Defining ex as the inverse function of ln(x) leads to all the properties of ex (including the fact that it is some number to a power!), in particular that its derivative is ex itself and, from that, that the derivative of ax is (ln a) ax.

dunno if I'm missing the point here but...

write
y=2^x
as
y=exp(x.ln2)
=>
y'=ln2.exp(x.ln2)

No, you did exactly what HallsofIvy was advocating, he was just pointing out that the question asked for it to be solved using the definition of a derivative, which makes things much harder. Easier to approach things from the other way, starting by defining the integral of 1/x.

"The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2)."

tell me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seems so hard to determine this limit..
(a^h-1)/h = (exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h
= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h h->0
= ln(a) + o(ln(a))
so lim (a^h-1)/h = ln(a) ...

brout said:
"The derivative is lim (f(x+h)- f(x))/h= axlim {(ah-1)/h}. Notice that that is ax time a limit that is independent of x. That is, as long as the derivative exists, it is ax times a constant. The problem is showing that the lim{(ah-1)/h} EXISTS! And then showing that, if a= 2, that limit is ln(2)."

tell me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seems so hard to determine this limit..
(a^h-1)/h = (exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h
= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h h->0
= ln(a) + o(ln(a))
so lim (a^h-1)/h = ln(a) ...

Yes, assuming that you know "(exp (h*ln(a) )-1) / h= ( 1 + h*ln(a) + o(h*ln(a)) - 1 ) / h " its easy to do it. Proving what you assumed is the hard part!

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function using the definition?

To find the derivative of a function using the definition, you need to use the limit definition of a derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0.

3. What is the limit definition of a derivative?

The limit definition of a derivative is the mathematical expression that represents the slope of the tangent line to a curve at a specific point.

4. How do you apply the limit definition to find the derivative of a function?

You apply the limit definition by plugging in the given function into the expression and taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at the specified point.

5. How do you find the derivative of y=2^x using the definition?

To find the derivative of y=2^x using the definition, you need to apply the limit definition by plugging in the function, taking the limit as the change in x approaches 0, and simplifying the resulting expression. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any point on the curve y=2^x.