242.7x.27 Find the slowest growing and the fastest growing functions

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, as $x$ approaches infinity, the functions $4x^{10}$ and $e^{x-4}$ grow slower than $e^x$, while the function $xe^x$ grows at the same rate as $e^x$. This can be determined by taking the limit of each function and comparing the results using L'Hôpital’s Rule.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{242.7x.27}$
$\textsf{Find the slowest growing and the fastest growing functions
${{x}\to{\infty}}$}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
y&=4x^{10} \\
y&=e^x \\
y&=e^{x-4} \\
y&=xe^x \\
\end{align*}

$\textit{I'm clueless... take the limit??}$

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, limits are involved here...

[box=green]Definition: Let $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ be positive for $x$ sufficiently large.
  1. $f(x)$ grows faster than $g(x)$ as $x\to\infty$ if \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\infty\)
  2. $f(x)$ grows slower than $g(x)$ as $x\to\infty$ if \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=0\)
  3. $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ grow at the same rate as $x\to\infty$ if \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=L\ne0\)
    where $L$ is some finite number.​
[/box]

In order to compute the limits involved we often use L'Hôpital’s Rule. :D

well that was very helpfull
but what determines what is f(x) and g(x)
what will these functions be compared to?

karush said:
well that was very helpfull
but what determines what is f(x) and g(x)
what will these functions be compared to?

You determine which are to be $f$ and $g$...for example, if we compare the 2nd and 3rd options we could let:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=e^x\)

\(\displaystyle g(x)=e^{x-4}\)

And we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\frac{e^x}{e^{x-4}}=e^4\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=e^4\)

So, we conclude that $f$ and $g$ grow at the same rate as $x\to\infty$. We would come to the same conclusion if we reversed the definitions of $f$ and $g$, as we would for functions who don't grow at the same rate as well. :D

$\displaystyle
\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{4x^{10}}{e^x}=0$
so this means $e^{x}$ is faster i presume..
however this is a calculator answer i wouldn't know how to evaluate it

also
$\displaystyle
\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{e^{x-4}}{xe^x}=\textit{undef}$

so then ?

Last edited:
karush said:
$\displaystyle

Try repeated applications of L'Hopital's rule, until the $x$ in the numerator vanishes.

karush said:
also
$\displaystyle
\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{e^{x-4}}{xe^x}=\textit{undef}$

so then ?

This limit is actually $0$.

karush said:
$\displaystyle

also
$\displaystyle \lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{e^{x-4}}{xe^x}=\textit{undef}$

so then ?

\(\displaystyle \frac{e^{x-4}}{xe^x}= \frac{e^xe^{-4}}{xe^x}= \frac{e^{-4}}{x}\)

That is a constant over x so, as x goes to infinity, the numerator stays constant while the denominator increases without bound, so the limit is 0.

Related to 242.7x.27 Find the slowest growing and the fastest growing functions

1. What is the meaning of "242.7x.27" in this context?

The number "242.7x.27" is not a specific number, but rather a general representation of a mathematical function. The "x" in the middle indicates that this function involves a variable, and the two numbers on either side represent coefficients that are multiplied by the variable. For example, the function could be written as 242.7x^2.7, where x represents the input and 242.7 and 2.7 are the coefficients.

2. How do you determine the slowest growing function?

The slowest growing function is determined by examining the exponents in the function. The exponent that is closest to 0 will result in the slowest growth. In this case, 0.27 is the smallest exponent, so the function is 242.7x^0.27, making it the slowest growing function.

3. What does it mean for a function to be "fastest growing"?

A function is considered "fastest growing" when its growth rate is significantly greater than other functions being compared. In this context, the fastest growing function would have the largest exponent, resulting in a steeper curve and a faster rate of growth.

4. Can you provide an example of a slower growing function?

One example of a slower growing function could be 5x^0.5. This function has a smaller exponent than the original function (242.7x^0.27), making it grow at a slower rate.

5. How can knowing the slowest and fastest growing functions be useful?

Understanding the slowest and fastest growing functions can be useful in various fields of science, such as economics, biology, and physics. It can help predict trends and patterns, make comparisons between different phenomena, and make informed decisions in research and data analysis.