Re-examining the Energy Equation: Why Does E=mc^2 Fall Short?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of the equation e=mc^2 as a theory of everything. While it is true in all circumstances, it is a result of the Theory of Special Relativity and not a theory itself. The equation breaks down in areas such as black holes and the Big Bang, requiring other tools like Quantum Mechanics to understand. Some argue that the equation implies that energy and mass are the same thing, while others believe it is more accurate to say they have the same effect on space-time. The idea of anti-energy or anti-matter is also discussed, with the conclusion that photons (energy) are their own antiparticle.
scott_sieger
Hi guys,

Just a provocative thought.

It i said that a good theory for everything must be true in all circumstances.

So, Why does e=mc^2 fail in this regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
1+1=2 is also true in all circumstances, but it is not a theory of everything. E=mc2 was derived from Einstein using the Theory of Special Relativity. It is simply a result, it is not a theory.

When is e=mc^2 not true?

Last edited:
When is e=mc^2 not true?

As Intergral said, e=mc^2 is a result of a theory and not a theory itself. Other results of General Relativity predicted its own downfall, particularly the Bing Bang, black holes and singularities. The rules of General and Special Relativity break down in those areas and other tools are needed to understand them. Quantum Mechanics was developed to help understand these things that General Relativity could not.

It alone doesn't implicitly say that energy and mass are the same thing, merely that if you perfectly convert a mass m to energy, you'll get mc^2 worth of Joules.

I believe the equation does implicitly say that energy and mass are different ways of looking at the same thing.

Remember those toys called “Transformers” we all knew it was a truck, and also a robot in disguise.

S

Oh yeah, black holes, always forget about those...
On the second point you made, I apparently made an edit while you where typing your reply, because I realized your point myself, but of course it was only after I hit 'Submit'. Good example though, got to remember that one.

E=mc2 is violated within virtual interactions according to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, where [del]E[del]t<h/(4[pi]).

Loren, isn't that just a violation of energy conservation? I mean, on a short timescale there is energy that "appears" for virtual interactions as you say, but that is a violation of energy conservation. E=mc^2 more appropriately is interpreted as energy and mass have the same effect on space-time and I don't think anyone says that the temporary energy on the uncertainty time-scale "does not" have the same effect on space-time as mass would...therefore E=mc^2 would not be broken.

another test of energy equation

Excuse my ignorance as I am no mathamaticion in fact I didn't even pass Highschool.

But I am under the impression that for a formula to be true it has to be able to be inverted.

So, if e=mc^2 what does anti- energy/matter equal. How would you write an inversion of this equation? Me thinks we can't. Therefore another equation is needed to describe energy and anti-energy. And then that equation would hold true regardless of black holes or other.

Please tell me if my approach is wrong.

I think so, it's more of a rule of thumb and applies in mechanics, etc..

Zimm,

You may be right, that E=mc2 is a physical principle unaffected by (but often appearing in) the HUP, if [del]E=[del]mc2 for all [del]E and [del]m. Regrets.

Scott,

Photons (energy) are their own antiparticle, thus the conversion of matter or antimatter to energy is indistinguishable.

1. What does the equation E=mc^2 signify?

The equation E=mc^2 signifies the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

2. How does E=mc^2 fall short?

E=mc^2 falls short in explaining certain phenomena, such as the behavior of light and gravity, and cannot be applied to certain situations, such as those involving quantum mechanics.

3. Why is it important to re-examine the energy equation?

Re-examining the energy equation is important because it can lead to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in science and technology.

4. What are some proposed alternative equations to E=mc^2?

Some proposed alternative equations include the mass-energy-momentum relationship, the relativistic energy-momentum relationship, and the mass-energy-momentum-time relationship.

5. How can the energy equation be reconciled with quantum mechanics?

One proposed solution is the incorporation of the concept of mass-energy equivalence with the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the wave-particle duality of matter.