Antibubbles in Beer from Belgium

In summary: As per the "Pots" of gold that are to be found 'end of the rainbow') In summary, physicists from Belgium have published a theory that explains the formation and movement of antibubbles, which are thin surfaces of air in fluid surrounding a pocket of fluid. This phenomenon, first observed and studied almost a century ago, has finally been explained. The researchers also found antibubbles in Flemish Beer, proving that Belgian beer is not quite the same as dishwater. It is known to be the best in the world, along with Oregon and Canadian beer. Additionally, it is believed that drinking beer with antibubbles may result in anti-hangover effects.
Andersen
Physicists from Belgium have published a theory that explains the formation and movement of antibubbles.

http://physics.about.com/cs/bubles/g/antibubble.htm [Broken]: where bubbles are thin surface of fluid in air surrounding a pocket of air, an antibubble is a thin surface of air in fluid surrounding a pocket of fluid. Although first observed and studied almost a century ago, no one until now has been able to determine how they form.

They also observed antibubbles in Flemish Beer, proving that the beer from Belgium is almost, but not quite, the same as dishwater.

http://physics.about.com/cs/bubles/a/antibubbles.htm [Broken]

Also, you can http://physics.about.com/cs/chemphysexp/a/antibubbles.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, I think I need to do a lot of studying on this. Would it be okay if I use German beer?

i suspect that all beers work this way - but its fun to pick on belgium.

Joe

Now why would that be?

Is this the reason Guinness (and other nitro beers) have bubbles that go downwards?

- Warren

Just for the record, Belgian beer is the best in the world!:wink:

Originally posted by MHills
You mean like "Navigator 10%" ?

Fosters is the drink for me.

Originally posted by Andy
Fosters is the drink for me.
Can you get Canadian beer in England? cause you can get some English beers here in Canada, but I've no idea how close they are to what is available there...

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse for me

After Oregon of course.

Belgian beer IS the best in the word. Trust me.

Just ask Michael Jackson (the beer taster, not the pop-star)

Originally posted by chroot
Is this the reason Guinness (and other nitro beers) have bubbles that go downwards?

- Warren

Do they? After a few pints I believe they do

Navigator 10%?
Never heard of it. Sure it's Belgian beer?[?]

Originally posted by Andersen
Physicists from Belgium have published a theory that explains the formation and movement of antibubbles.

http://physics.about.com/cs/bubles/g/antibubble.htm [Broken]: where bubbles are thin surface of fluid in air surrounding a pocket of air, an antibubble is a thin surface of air in fluid surrounding a pocket of fluid. Although first observed and studied almost a century ago, no one until now has been able to determine how they form.

They also observed antibubbles in Flemish Beer, proving that the beer from Belgium is almost, but not quite, the same as dishwater.

http://physics.about.com/cs/bubles/a/antibubbles.htm [Broken]

Also, you can http://physics.about.com/cs/chemphysexp/a/antibubbles.htm [Broken]

This is interesting, I am a infrequent drinker (but do like some Molsen when in Canada), but some of my friends grade their Lagers by the delayed gaseous expulsions the following day?. I have been informed that some lagers/beers have a "heavier than air" following day effect? and can fill the average sized living/bed-room faster than the speed sound? (I take this as you cannot outrun the effects of such an expulsion once consumed!) edit: I have just been informed by a friend that proof of 'Faster-than-sound-effect', is that some odours can be smelt but not heard!

Crude I know, but I was wondering now if anyone has an explination for this, and why some of the "heavy-winds" are more denser and (potent) and if the construct of the bubble's within the Lagers have an inbuilt 'delay-function' whereby they "burst-pop" inside the drinker, instead of in the Glass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Navigator 10%?
Never heard of it. Sure it's Belgian beer?[?]
From Holland actually, thought it might be "close enough" ??

Don't get a Belgian started on where Dutch beer comes from...

Can you get Canadian beer in England? cause you can get some English beers here in Canada, but I've no idea how close they are to what is available there...

hmmmm, I am not sure about that one if you name a couple i will do some research into it for you.

hmmmm, I am not sure about that one if you name a couple i will do some research into it for you.
O.K. How's about "Will and Grace", (Or need they be a real life couple?) "George and Gracy" or maybe, (What?) "Fred and Wilma"...so on with that resear(urp!)ch! (you'll end up looking like this !)

So very very funny! Try naming some Canadian beers and i will do some research into it 2nite.

So very very funny! Try naming some canadian beers and i will do some research into it 2nite.
Done!

If you drink beer with antibubbles in it, do you get an anti-hangover?

Originally posted by Zero
If you drink beer with antibubbles in it, do you get an anti-hangover?
Apparently, Yes! but I hear (rumor has it ) it is only in conjuctive use with "Anti-pot"...

1. What are antibubbles in beer and how are they formed?

Antibubbles in beer are tiny gas pockets that form at the bottom of a beer glass and rise to the surface in a downward motion. They are formed when carbon dioxide gas is trapped in the beer during the brewing process and then released as small bubbles that travel downwards instead of upwards.

2. Is there a specific type of beer from Belgium that is known for having antibubbles?

While antibubbles can occur in any type of beer, it is more commonly observed in Belgian beers such as Lambics and Saisons. These types of beers have naturally high levels of carbonation, which increases the likelihood of antibubbles forming.

3. Are antibubbles in beer harmful to drink?

No, antibubbles in beer are not harmful to drink. They are simply small pockets of gas that do not affect the taste or quality of the beer. In fact, some people enjoy the unique visual effect that antibubbles create in their beer.

4. Can I purposely create antibubbles in my beer?

While it is not possible to purposely create antibubbles, you can increase the chances of their formation by pouring your beer into a glass at a slight angle and using a clean, smooth glass. Additionally, choosing a beer with higher carbonation levels, such as a Belgian beer, may also increase the likelihood of antibubbles.

5. Are antibubbles in beer a sign of quality or freshness?

No, antibubbles in beer are not indicative of the quality or freshness of the beer. They are a natural occurrence that can happen in any beer, regardless of its age or quality. The presence or absence of antibubbles in a beer does not affect its taste or quality in any way.