Cylinder fitted with piston and spring im lost

In summary, when the atmospheric pressure is applied to the system, it causes the spring to compress. The amount of work done by the atmospheric pressure is equal to the amount of force the spring exerts against the atmosphere.
Rival
A cylinder is fitted with a piston, beneath which is a spring, as in the drawing. The cylinder is open at the top. Friction is absent. The spring constant of the spring is 2900 N/m. The piston has a negligible mass and a radius of 0.023 m.

(a) When air beneath the piston is completely pumped out, how much does the atmospheric pressure cause the spring to compress?

(b) How much work does the atmospheric pressure do in compressing the spring?

i am lost...I have no idea as to what equation to use and where to start this problem. any help would be greatly appreciated

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably want to post stuff like this in the HW section.

The basic concepts in part a are balance of force, definition of pressure/relationship of pressure to force, and Hooke's law. The initial state has two forces pushing the piston out and one force pushing the pistion in. The final state has one force pushing the piston out and one force pushing the piston in. I won't tell you any more, but I will give you a hint in the form of a question that you should think about: what force is missing in the final state.

The basic concept in part b is work done by a fluid that undergoes a change in volume at constant pressure. Hint: there's probably an equation in the book.

Step 1) To begin with, note that atmospheric pressure is about 14.7 pounds per square inch, or about 101,325 Newtons per square meter. Think about what that means: the atmosphere pushes on any object (including your cylinder-piston system) with 101 kiloNewtons of force per square meter of surface area.

Step 2) You know the area of the cylinder, so you know how much downward force is applied to it by the atmosphere. Use the "result" of Step 1.

Step 3) You know the spring constant, so you know how much force the spring exerts for a given compression. You know how much force the spring needs to provide to stop the piston from moving -- it needs to push up just as hard as the atmosphere pushes down. Use the result of Step 2.

Step 4) You also know how to calculate the work done by any force acting over a distance:

[tex]W = \int F dx[/tex]

Can you take it from here? Let me know if you don't understand part of this discussion.

- Warren

Originally posted by Rival
=i am lost...I have no idea as to what equation to use and where to start this problem. any help would be greatly appreciated
Here's another tip: learn about the properties of springs. How much force they exert and how much energy they store when compressed.

well if i draw a free body diagram of the piston, i will get a force pushing down which would be Atmospheric pressure multiplied by area which is just (pi)(r^2) or in Newtons 168.4. now i sitll have a force of 2900 Newtons pushing up from the spring, correct? or am i wrong there
kevin

The spring only pushes with 2900 N of force if you compress it one whole meter. If you only compress it half a meter, it only pushes with 1450 N of force.

- Warren

Ah ha!

i have F=kx as my equation...F=force pushing down on cylinder and spring

F=168.4N
k=2900N

F/k=x

x=.058m

ok first part done but still stuck on second part

kevin...
P.S. thanks everyone and especially Warren

Last edited:
You're correct, and you're welcome.

For the second part, you need to consider the definition of work:

[tex]W = \int F\, dx[/tex]

The force exerted by the spring (against the atmosphere) is just kx, so the expression becomes

[tex]W = \int k x\, dx[/tex]

Do you know calculus? Can you evaluate this integral?

- Warren

Originally posted by Rival
ok first part done but still stuck on second part
Now consider how much work it took to compress the spring. Which is another way of asking how much energy is stored in the compressed spring.

so is it just the kinetic energy in the spring? KE=1/2Mv^2?

Kevin

Spring don't have kinetic energy, unless they're flying across the room. Springs store potential energy. Can you evaluate the integral I posted above that relates W and x for a spring?

- Warren

why yes i can evaluate that integral, or at least i better be able to. seeing how i have finished diff E.Q. last quarter... anyways the equation is just

1/2kx^2

so i have

.5(2900)(.058)^2= 4.8778J

thanks again...definitly a confidence booster right there =)

Kevin

Last edited:
Don't forget your units. (Seriously.)

- Warren

changes have been made...all units have been placed in the appropriate places for my answers

kevin:wink:

1. What is a cylinder fitted with piston and spring?

A cylinder fitted with piston and spring is a mechanical device that consists of a cylindrical tube with a movable piston inside and a spring at one end. The piston can move back and forth within the cylinder, and the spring helps to regulate the movement and provide resistance.

2. How does a cylinder fitted with piston and spring work?

When a force is applied to the piston, it moves inside the cylinder, compressing the spring. When the force is removed, the spring expands, pushing the piston back to its original position. This movement can be repeated, creating a back-and-forth motion.

3. What are the applications of a cylinder fitted with piston and spring?

Cylinders fitted with piston and spring are commonly used in various industrial and mechanical systems, such as engines, pumps, and hydraulic and pneumatic systems. They are also used in medical devices, such as syringes and respirators.

4. How is a cylinder fitted with piston and spring different from other types of cylinders?

Unlike other types of cylinders, such as pneumatic or hydraulic cylinders, a cylinder fitted with piston and spring does not require an external power source to move the piston. The movement is controlled by the force applied to the piston and the resistance provided by the spring.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a cylinder fitted with piston and spring?

If you are experiencing problems with a cylinder fitted with piston and spring, you can check for any damage or wear on the piston, cylinder, or spring. It is also important to make sure all connections and seals are secure and functioning properly. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult a professional for further troubleshooting or repair.