Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2019 TV and Movie discussion

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

No math in here necessary but perhaps possible?

I'm running out of TV shows and don't really have any movies coming out that are on my radar, so I'm curious what everyone is watching these days or what they are looking forward to in the near future.

Current TV shows:

1) Game of Thrones
2) Veep
3) Random Netflix shows

Upcoming movies:

1) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Watched movies that I'd recommend:

1) Free Solo (really beautiful documentary)
2) Barkley Marathons
3) Game Night

Anyone have any recommendations or discussion points about their current media consumption?

GJA

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 16, 2013
Hey Jameson ,

If you liked Free Solo, I'd recommend The Dawn Wall. Tommy Caldwell's story is unreal.

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
I live in the UK and so my selection may be different from that of other members here.

My favourite TV shows (in no particular order) are:

1. Agatha Christie’s Poirot
  2. QI XL
  3. Midsomer Murders
  4. Red Dwarf
  5. ’Allo ’Allo!
  6. Taskmaster

Most of the episodes I watch are repeats; I watch them as and when they are shown.

As for movies, I’m not much of a filmgoer myself – but I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter movies (as I am of the books). The last film I went to see was Mortal Engines (which I found rather disappointing compared to the book by Philip Reeve on which it was based).

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Here are the ones I'm currently following.

Current TV shows
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Supernatural
Current Anime
  • Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
  • Fairy Tail: Final Series
Current and Upcoming Movies
  • Avengers: End Game
  • Dark Phoenix

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'm looking forward to the series finale of "The Big Bang Theory" next Thursday. The show had run its course, as they continued to normalize the characters whose abnormal quirks made them funny.

I'm really looking forward to "Terminator: Dark Fate" set to be released on the first of November. It sounds like the best of that franchise since "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" which is one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Admin

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hey Jameson ,

If you liked Free Solo, I'd recommend The Dawn Wall. Tommy Caldwell's story is unreal.
I actually saw that one too and I completely agree, it's a great story. Alex Honnold commented on how random it was to have two movies come out the same year about climbing but they both stand on their own very well. Do you have any other documentary recommendations? I really like watching them and haven't found any lately.

I live in the UK and so my selection may be different from that of other members here.

My favourite TV shows (in no particular order) are:

1. Agatha Christie’s Poirot
  2. QI XL
  3. Midsomer Murders
  4. Red Dwarf
  5. ’Allo ’Allo!
  6. Taskmaster
Not familiar with any of these, which is good. Which from the list would you recommend starting with?

Here are the ones I'm currently following.

Current TV shows
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • Supernatural
Current Anime
  • Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
  • Fairy Tail: Final Series
Current and Upcoming Movies
  • Avengers: End Game
  • Dark Phoenix
I saw End Game a week or so ago. Have you gone yet or is that an upcoming one?

I'm looking forward to the series finale of "The Big Bang Theory" next Thursday. The show had run its course, as they continued to normalize the characters whose abnormal quirks made them funny.

I'm really looking forward to "Terminator: Dark Fate" set to be released on the first of November. It sounds like the best of that franchise since "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" which is one of my favorite movies of all time.
I agree about TBBT. The characters changed quite a bit as it grew in popularity. To be fair I think any show that goes beyond 5 seasons or so starts to struggle with new plot lines and often we see fairly huge shifts in personalities in order for those new ideas to play out. When a show hits 10+ seasons I don't even think it can really be considered the same show anymore. Somewhere yesterday I saw that Grey's Anatomy was renewed for seasons 16/17. What I do like about TBBT is that they always seem to hire math/physics experts to help out with the random equations in the background. So many movies and shows just write random scribble that either means nothing or is not connected to the field of the main character, but not on this show from my experience.

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
Not familiar with any of these, which is good. Which from the list would you recommend starting with?
QI XL – it’s both educational and entertaining.

Oppiobe

Sep 27, 2019
I loved Chernobyl! Watched it this summer while was on vacation with friends in this property in Germany. Did anyone watched it? Amazing story line and actors.

Moderator's note: removed commercial link.

Last edited by a moderator:

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

No math in here necessary but perhaps possible?

I'm running out of TV shows and don't really have any movies coming out that are on my radar, so I'm curious what everyone is watching these days or what they are looking forward to in the near future.

Current TV shows:

1) Game of Thrones
2) Veep
3) Random Netflix shows

Upcoming movies:

1) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Watched movies that I'd recommend:

1) Free Solo (really beautiful documentary)
2) Barkley Marathons
3) Game Night

Anyone have any recommendations or discussion points about their current media consumption?
Hi all,

Recently I watched the Oscar-winning movie "Green Book", it is an amazing movie inspired by the true story about the segregation era in the US deep south in the early 1960s. Some of the scenes made my blood boil, while the others warmed my heart and touched me indefinitely. As a matter of fact, I watched this movie twice within a week. (Nod)(Blush)

If you haven't already watched this movie, I'd highly recommend it! I hope you'd enjoy it as much as I do!(Sun)