2018 French Nobel Prize clip (what do you think)

• Thread starter PSRB191921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nobel prize
In summary: Since his Nobel prize co-winner is a woman this is rather unfortunate for Mourou to be seen in this way. I am suggesting that this should be an important opportunity for him to speak out about the need to encourage women to pursue careers in physics.Yes, it would be unfortunate and I think it would be a good opportunity for him to speak out about the need to encourage women to pursue careers in physics.
PSRB191921
the clip of the 2018 french Nobel Prize in physics is controversial in France: what do you think ?

Likes BvU
Physics news on Phys.org
I expect that his Nobel co-winner Canadian physicist Donna Strickland was not happy to see the video. It kind of negates the message that women in science are to be taken seriously. I expect that Gérard Mourou was not thinking of the implications when the video was made and was caught up in a stupid promotion. That does not excuse it though. I think he has a duty now to come out and made a strong and sustained effort to promote women in physics and to change the culture that physics is a male domain (as suggested recently by Italian Prof. Alessandro Strumia)

AM

Likes berkeman and DrClaude
Most of it reminds me of the Large Hadron Rap.
The 2:40 scene looks out of place.

SJWs finding sexism in every little thing nowadays, that's what I think.

mfb said:
Most of it reminds me of the Large Hadron Rap.
The 2:40 scene looks out of place.
Unless you think portraying women in hard-hats as sexist, I didn't see anything in the CERN video that sends the message the women in physics are not to be treated seriously. Unlike the Mourou video. In that odd laboratory dance scene, the men keep on their lab coats and the women take them off...

AM

Andrew Mason said:
In that odd laboratory dance scene, the men keep on their lab coats and the women take them off...
If you check my post I mentioned that this scene is out of place.
I said most of the video reminds me of the LHC rap. Most of the video doesn't have anyone taking off their lab coat.

I saw the clip and frankly thought it was just ridiculous and stupid, and seeing Dr. Mourou "dance" elicited a mix of reactions from "funny" (in a "laugh at" Mourou rather than "laugh with") to "cringe-inducing". But curiously enough, I didn't get the perception from the video shown of science in general (and physics in particular) as a "male dominion", and I suspect that thought didn't cross his mind either.

Maybe it should have? I'll be honest and say that I don't know.

StatGuy2000 said:
I saw the clip and frankly thought it was just ridiculous and stupid, and seeing Dr. Mourou "dance" elicited a mix of reactions from "funny" (in a "laugh at" Mourou rather than "laugh with") to "cringe-inducing". But curiously enough, I didn't get the perception from the video shown of science in general (and physics in particular) as a "male dominion", and I suspect that thought didn't cross his mind either.

Maybe it should have? I'll be honest and say that I don't know.
The video would not necessarily lead one to conclude that physics is a male domain. But it reinforces the perception that many already have (Prof. Strumia's remarks were not made in a vacuum - he must have perceived that he had an audience for his remarks) that it is a male domain and that women in physics are not to be taken seriously. Since his Nobel prize co-winner is a woman this is rather unfortunate for Mourou to be seen in this way. I am suggesting that this should be an important opportunity for him to speak out about the need to encourage women to pursue careers in physics.

AM

Last edited:

Related to 2018 French Nobel Prize clip (what do you think)

1. What is the "2018 French Nobel Prize clip" about?

The "2018 French Nobel Prize clip" refers to a video clip that was released in 2018 showcasing the French recipients of the Nobel Prize in various categories.

2. Who won the 2018 French Nobel Prize?

The French recipients of the 2018 Nobel Prize were François Englert and Peter W. Higgs for Physics, Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, and Bernard L. Feringa for Chemistry, and Patrick Modiano for Literature.

3. What is the significance of the 2018 French Nobel Prize clip?

The 2018 French Nobel Prize clip highlights the achievements of French scientists and authors in the fields of Physics, Chemistry, and Literature. It also serves as a way to promote and celebrate their accomplishments to a wider audience.

4. How many French Nobel Prize recipients were featured in the clip?

A total of five French Nobel Prize recipients were featured in the 2018 French Nobel Prize clip. This includes two for Physics, three for Chemistry, and one for Literature.

5. Was the 2018 French Nobel Prize clip well-received?

The 2018 French Nobel Prize clip received positive feedback from viewers and was praised for its informative and visually appealing presentation of the French Nobel Prize recipients. It also generated discussion and recognition for the achievements of the featured individuals.