Infared light - lenses and ink

In summary, it is not possible for human eyes to read infrared ink as they cannot see infrared light. There are lenses for cameras that can detect infrared light, but there is no way to make human eyes see it. The best option is to use a device like a CCD chip to record and reproduce the image in visible light.
derekbeau
is it possible to read infared ink with human eyes. I have seen lenses for cameras but can't find anything for eyes. If so, where is informaiton on this

thakns

Science news on Phys.org
invisible ink

derekbeau said:
is it possible to read infared ink with human eyes. I have seen lenses for cameras but can't find anything for eyes. If so, where is informaiton on this
I've heard of "invisible" inks that fluoresce when illuminated with infrared light. (Similar to UV invisible ink, but on the other side of the visible range.) I assume the flouresence is visible--otherwise what's the point? :wink: Do a search on invisible inks.

Digital cameras and camcorders that use CCDs can detect infrared light (though some cameras specifically include an IR filter somewhere in the optical path to thwart this). However, your eye cannot see infrared light, and there's no way to make it. The best you can do is to use a device like a CCD chip to record the IR and reproduce the image in visible light.

- Warren

1. What is infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is invisible to the human eye, but can be detected by specialized equipment.

2. How do infrared lenses work?

Infrared lenses are designed to focus and manipulate infrared light. They are typically made from materials that are transparent to infrared light, such as germanium or silicon.

3. What are the applications of infrared light?

Infrared light is used in a variety of applications, including thermal imaging, remote sensing, and communication. It is also used in medical imaging, security systems, and astronomy.

4. What is invisible ink made of?

Invisible ink is typically made of a substance that is invisible under normal lighting conditions, but becomes visible under infrared light. Examples of common invisible ink substances include lemon juice, vinegar, and milk.

5. How is infrared light used in security measures?

Infrared light is often used in security measures, such as motion sensors, as it can detect temperature changes and movement that may indicate an intruder. Infrared cameras are also used for surveillance and monitoring purposes.