Calculating Power Loss in a High Voltage Transmission Line

• Thread starter SparkimusPrime
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power lost by a line with a given current, voltage, distance, and resistance. The original power is found to be 7e8 watts, but due to a math error, the final power is incorrectly calculated as 5e7 watts instead of 6.5e8 watts. The correct answer given by the teacher is 50 MW (50e6 watts). There is a discussion about whether the teacher wants the power dissipated by the wire or the power that is left. The conversation concludes with the realization that the problem was misunderstood due to the use of obscure language in the book.
SparkimusPrime
A question surprisingly similar to this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=17219

I = 1000amp
V = 700,000volt
distance = 100miles
Resistence of the wire = .5 ohm / mile

The resistence of my line is 50 ohms, original power is 7e5 * 1e3 = 7e8 watts. Final power, due to P = (I^2) * R, is 1e3^2 * 50 = 5e7 watts

So finding the difference:

7e8 - 5e7 = 6.5e8

The answer given by the teacher is 50 MW (50e6 watts right?). A math error I'm sure, anyone see it?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure why you are computing the difference.

The power lost by the line is

P=I2R

End of story, you do not even need to know the total power transmitted.

Maybe your teacher wants the power dissipated by the wire, and not the power that is left?

Beat me to it. :smile:

Yes sorry, read the problem wrong. Seems to be a common failing with this book, using obscure english to mask the real problem.

Thanks.

Peter

1. What is "Another resistance problem"?

Another resistance problem is a term used in scientific research to describe the phenomenon in which a previously effective treatment or intervention becomes less effective over time. This can occur in various fields, such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science.

2. What causes another resistance problem?

Another resistance problem is caused by the ability of organisms, such as bacteria, viruses, and pests, to adapt and develop resistance to the treatment or intervention being used. This can happen through genetic mutations or natural selection.

3. How does another resistance problem affect society?

Another resistance problem can have significant impacts on society, as it can lead to the failure of treatments and interventions that were once effective. This can result in increased economic costs, reduced food production, and the spread of diseases.

4. How can scientists address another resistance problem?

Scientists can address another resistance problem by continuously researching and developing new treatments and interventions that are less prone to resistance. They can also implement strategies such as rotating treatments, combining treatments, and using lower doses to slow down the development of resistance.

5. What can individuals do to help prevent another resistance problem?

Individuals can help prevent another resistance problem by following proper usage and dosage instructions for treatments and medications, properly disposing of waste and unused products, and avoiding overuse of antibiotics and pesticides. It is also important to support sustainable farming practices that reduce the need for excessive use of treatments.