Calculating Cross Section for Ion-Atom Scattering with Rutherford Potential

In summary, Rutherford Scattering is a phenomenon discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911, where charged particles are deflected by the positively charged nucleus of an atom. It provided evidence for the existence of the nucleus and has significant implications in understanding atomic structure. Rutherford Scattering works by directing a beam of charged particles towards a thin foil of atoms, causing them to scatter in different directions due to the positive charge of the nucleus. This phenomenon has real-world applications in nuclear medicine, materials science, and particle physics, as well as in ion implantation techniques and particle accelerators.
Ed Quanta
Ok, so we have a potential energy V(r)= -C/r^4 which exists between an atom and ion at distances greater than contact. Note that C=e^2/2(P^2) where e is charge of ion and P is polarizability of atom. I have to calculate the cross section for an ion of velocity v to strike an atom, while assuming that the ion is much lighter than the atom.

The answer to this is cross section=4pi/v*(sqrt(2C/m)). How do I get this?

The only equations I have are, E=1/2*mv^2, L(angular momentum)=mvb where b is impact parameter. The equation for b is given in terms of scattering angles, I think in this case b= C/mv^2 * cot(beta/2). But here we don't know any scattering angles. And the equation for cross section is cross section=pi*b^2

Science news on Phys.org

I would first start by looking at the equation for cross section and seeing if I can manipulate it to include the given potential energy equation. In this case, we can rewrite the cross section equation as cross section=pi*(C/mv^2 * cot(beta/2))^2.

Next, I would look at the given equations for energy and angular momentum and see if I can use them to find an expression for the scattering angle, as it is needed in the equation for b. In this case, we can use the conservation of energy and angular momentum to find the relation between the initial and final velocities and angles.

Using the conservation of energy, we can equate the initial kinetic energy of the ion (1/2*mv^2) to the final potential energy (V(r)= -C/r^4) and kinetic energy (1/2*mu^2), where u is the final velocity of the ion after the collision. This gives us the equation 1/2*mv^2 = -C/r^4 + 1/2*mu^2.

Using the conservation of angular momentum, we can equate the initial angular momentum (mvb) to the final angular momentum (muR), where R is the distance between the atom and ion after the collision. This gives us the equation mvb = muR.

Solving for u in the energy equation and substituting it into the angular momentum equation, we get b= R*v*(sqrt(2C/m))/cot(beta/2).

Finally, substituting this value of b into the equation for cross section, we get cross section=pi*(R*v*(sqrt(2C/m))/cot(beta/2))^2. Simplifying this gives us the final answer of cross section=4pi/v*(sqrt(2C/m)), which is the desired result.

In summary, we were able to use conservation of energy and angular momentum to find an expression for the scattering angle, which we then used to manipulate the equation for cross section to include the given potential energy equation. This allowed us to solve for the desired cross section value.

1. What is Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering is a phenomenon observed in nuclear physics where charged particles are deflected by the positively charged nucleus of an atom.

2. Who discovered Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering was discovered by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 during his famous gold foil experiment.

3. What is the significance of Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering provided evidence for the existence of the positively charged nucleus in atoms, which was a major breakthrough in the understanding of atomic structure.

4. How does Rutherford Scattering work?

Rutherford Scattering occurs when a beam of charged particles is directed towards a thin foil of atoms. As the particles pass through the foil, they are deflected by the positive charge of the nucleus, causing them to scatter in different directions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering is used in various fields such as nuclear medicine, materials science, and particle physics to study the structure and properties of atoms and nuclei. It is also used in ion implantation techniques for producing microchips and in particle accelerators for research purposes.