Proving n! > n^2 for n ≥ 4 with Induction

• Thread starter jezse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the conversation is about proving the statement n! > n^2 for all n >= 4 using induction. The person has provided a partial proof using n=4, but is unsure of what to do for the next step (n+1)! > (n+1)^2. The other person suggests dividing by n+1 and showing that n^2 > n+1, which is true for n>1 and can be verified for n=4 to complete the proof.
jezse
I know I have to prove this using induction, but am having some problems.

show n! > n^2 for all n >= 4

what I have so far

1) n=4; 4^2=16 < 4! = 4*3*2*1=24; 16 < 24

2) show (n+1)! > (n+1)^2

something a long the lines of..

(n+1)! = (n+1)*n!
> (n+1)*n^2
.. then what, can I just say (n+1)n^2 > (n+1)^2? or am I missing a step or 2..

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, you must prove that

n^2(n+1) > (n+1)^2

for n > 4.

Thinking what happesn if we divide through by n+1, this it suffices to show n^2 > n+1

which is clearly true for n>1, check the original statement is true for n=4 and you are done.

for your help!

Your approach is correct so far. Here's how you can continue:

3) (n+1)! = (n+1)*n!
> (n+1)*n^2 (by induction hypothesis)
= n^2 + n^3 (multiply)
> n^2 + n^2 (since n ≥ 4, n^3 > n^2)
= 2n^2 (combine like terms)
> n^2 + 2n (since n ≥ 4, 2n > n)
> n^2 + 1 (since n ≥ 4, 2n > 1)
> n^2 + (n+1) (since n ≥ 4, n+1 > 1)
= (n+1)^2 (expand and simplify)

Therefore, (n+1)! > (n+1)^2, completing the induction step.

By the principle of mathematical induction, n! > n^2 for all n ≥ 4.

1. What is the purpose of proving n! > n^2 for n ≥ 4 with Induction?

Proving n! > n^2 for n ≥ 4 with Induction is important in the field of mathematics as it helps establish the relationship between factorial and exponential functions. It also serves as a fundamental proof technique for solving more complex mathematical problems.

2. What is the basic premise of Induction in this proof?

The basic premise of Induction in this proof is that if we can show that a statement is true for a base case (n = 4), and if we can also show that if the statement is true for a particular case (n = k), then it must also be true for the next case (n = k + 1), then we can conclude that the statement is true for all cases (n ≥ 4).

3. How does one prove n! > n^2 for n ≥ 4 with Induction?

To prove n! > n^2 for n ≥ 4 with Induction, we first show that the statement is true for n = 4, i.e. 4! > 4^2 is true. Then, we assume that the statement is true for n = k, i.e. k! > k^2 is true. Using this assumption, we must then prove that the statement is also true for n = k + 1, i.e. (k + 1)! > (k + 1)^2 is true. If we can successfully prove this, then we can conclude that the statement is true for all cases (n ≥ 4).

4. Why is it necessary to specify n ≥ 4 in this proof?

It is necessary to specify n ≥ 4 in this proof because the statement n! > n^2 is not always true for all values of n. For n = 1, 2, and 3, the statement does not hold. Therefore, specifying n ≥ 4 ensures that we are only considering the cases where the statement is true, making it a valid proof.

5. What are some possible applications of this proof in real life?

This proof has various applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. In computer science, it can be used to analyze the efficiency of algorithms and their time complexity. In physics, it can be applied to analyze and predict the growth rates of certain natural phenomena. In engineering, it can be used to optimize processes and systems by finding the most efficient way to accomplish a task.