Can Information Be Stored in Non-Physical Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of information being stored in a non-physical field, specifically in vibration or electromagnetic fields. While some scientists believe in the concept, others argue that it goes against the laws of thermodynamics. Additionally, there is debate about the validity of Rupert Sheldrake's claims regarding morphogenetic fields.
Why
Can Information...?

Be stored in a non-physical field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Morpho-genetic

Biochemist Rupert Sheldrake is a proponent although many debunk him there have been some experiments confirming.

Can information move in a repetitive motion creating a 'field' and hold the signal or information intact?

Vibration?

What about a vibration?

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Main Entry: vi·brate
Pronunciation: 'vI-"brAt, esp British vI-'
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): vi·brat·ed; vi·brat·ing
Etymology: Latin vibratus, past participle of vibrare to brandish, wave, rock -- more at WIPE
transitive senses
1 : to swing or move to and fro

Many scientists believe in vibrating strings...as a layman I would love some scientific input on this idea...thanks!

Isn't a radio signal information "stored" in a field? It's not stored very long but it is there.

On the other hand, we get "information" about the makeup of a distant star from its light. Wasn't that information stored in the electromagnetic field for, possibly, thousands of years?

Even simpler the old IBM memory model rows and rows of small torus shaped magnets with a charge for 1 and no charge for 0 (the atoms aligned where the magnitic field is produced or random alignment where there is no magnetic field)

Or a laser where photons race back and forth between two mirrors with one at 100% reflectivity and one at 99%, it emerges as coherent light which can be modulated by varience of the input voltage.

This case like other posted examples tho are time "sensitive", which means once the information flows past us it is gone.
I can't think of any case where a standing wave is produced where it is persistent and self reinforcing that does not require instrumentalities.

Last edited:
Nice!

Thanks TillEulenspiegel
Nice!
My idea on the nonphysical information storage field would be a weaker circular energy movement carrying the information held inside a stronger spherical energy loop ...
(dissected view)
Loop within a loop.
a440.GIF

PS: I'm thinking a machine could initiate the energetic sphere but it would be self-sustaining.

Last edited:
Ummm well I'm sorry but what you propose is a sort of perpetual motion schema. As it violates the laws of thermodynamics I'm afraid it is not possible.

Edit to add:

BTW most of the responsible scientific community consider Rupert Sheldrake's claims to be "woo-woo"

Last edited:
Hey again Tell...yeah I know abour Sheldrakes rep.

As it violates the laws of thermodynamics I'm afraid it is not possible.
Why not?

You cannot have a field or force that controls another force without expending energy. Which in turn means that the controlling force must be "fed" energy to add back the energy that it expends to control the first force. The second law states that all systems move toward entropy with times arrow ( 1 way, forward ) so if you don't "recover"the expended energy the two forces will move toward equilibrium and the second force will not be able to control the first one thereby losing your information. Magnetic "bottles"are used to contain particles and plasmas but the useful ones are electro magnets, I suppose you could confine some less energetic particles with super strong rare Earth magnets and arrange the spin state of the particles to be the" information " (CW spin=0 CCW=1) but to what end?

Possibly there are force fields which are so subtle that we currently can't measure them?
I'm trying to determine if morphogentic fields are a possibility.

1. Can information be created?

Yes, information can be created through various means such as gathering data, conducting research, and analyzing patterns and trends.

2. Can information be destroyed?

Yes, information can be destroyed through intentional deletion or accidental loss. However, it can also be recovered through backups or other means depending on the situation.

3. Can information be trusted?

It depends on the source and the reliability of the information. It is always important to fact-check and verify information before considering it as trustworthy.

4. Can information be shared?

Yes, information can be shared through various means such as communication, publishing, and online platforms. However, it is important to consider the privacy and ethical implications of sharing certain information.

5. Can information be manipulated?

Yes, information can be manipulated intentionally or unintentionally. This can occur through biased reporting, altering data, or spreading misinformation. It is important to critically evaluate information to avoid being misled.