2010 Euclid Contest Discussion

In summary, the conversation discusses the 2010 Euclid Contest and some of the difficult problems on it, specifically #10 and #9. The participants also ask for help with solving the problems and share their answers for other problems on the contest. A summary of the conversation is requested.
Canada_Whiz
As you might know, the 2010 Euclid Contest was officially taken yesterday. So let's discuss!

I thought it wasnt too bad. #10 was hard though (the triangle one). Here was the question:

For each positive integer n, let T(n) be the number of triangles with integer side lengths, positive area, and perimeter n. For example, T(6) = 1 since only such triangle with a perimeter of 6 has side lengths 2, 2 and 2.
(b) If m is a positive integer with m >=(greater than or equal to) 3, prove that T(2m) = T(2m-3).
(c) Determine the smallest positive integer n such that T(n) > 2010.

Also, #9 was hard:

(b) In triangle ABC, BC = a, AC = b, AB = c, and a < .5(b+c).
Prove that angle BAC < .5 (angle ABC + angle ACB).

Can you please help me with those problems?

Also, if anyone wants to share how they solved #7 and 8, that would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
2010 Euclid Contest , very easy. just 10(b)(c) i cannot do it.

9(b):
use this formula:A/SINA=B/SINB=C/SINC

7A:too easy .cannot remember the answer
7B:i just remenbered there are 2 points.
8A:cannot remember
8b:110
9A(i):too easy
9A(ii):120

oh ****. 9A(ii)should be 4. i misunderstand the queston.
but anyway, i can get at least 80:)

Does the fact that [tex]{\sin}BAC<\frac{1}{2}({\sin}ABC+{\sin}BCA)[/tex] imply the desired result in problem 9b?

have you not got the answer 9(B)? very very easy!

here is my answer:
A/SINA=B/SINB=C/SINC
so 2SINA<SINB+SINC

because this is permanent.
we know SINB+SINC is bigger or equal 2(root SINB*SINC) only when SINB=SINC , it can be equal.
so 2SINA<2(root SINB*SINC)
SINCE SINB=SINC
2SINA<2SINB=2SINC
SINA<SINB=SINC
SINCE A+B+C=180
SO WHEN SINA=SINB=SINC,A=B=C=60, THEN A MUST LESS THAN 60
SO 0<A<60
120<B+C<180

A<0.5(B+C)

Last edited:
Doesn't that proof lose generality when you assume that [tex]{\sin}B={\sin}C[/tex]?

oh yes
i should rethink it

Last edited:

Related to 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion

What is the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion?

The 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion is an online forum or platform where students, teachers, and mathematicians can discuss and ask questions about the 2010 Euclid mathematics contest.

What is the purpose of the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion?

The purpose of the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion is to provide a space where participants can exchange ideas, clarify doubts, and deepen their understanding of the 2010 Euclid mathematics contest.

Who can participate in the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion?

The 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion is open to anyone who is interested in discussing and learning more about the 2010 Euclid mathematics contest. This includes students, teachers, and mathematicians from all around the world.

What topics can be discussed in the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion?

Participants can discuss a wide range of topics related to the 2010 Euclid mathematics contest, including specific questions from the contest, strategies for solving problems, and general tips and advice for taking the contest.

Is the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion moderated?

Yes, the 2010 Euclid Contest Discussion is moderated by a team of experienced mathematicians who ensure that all discussions are respectful, relevant, and aligned with the purpose of the forum.