2-wire dc polarity reversing signal

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2-wire dc polarity reversing voltage signal, which the individual has not heard of before. They have tried researching it but haven't found any information. The signal is referenced in an autopilot computer manual as an output and has a scale of 300mV/deg.
ashish1812
Hi

Does anyone know what a 2-wire dc polarity reversing voltage signal is? I have never heard of this type of signal before. I have gone insane trying to google it but to no avail. Any sort of help will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ashish1812 said:
Hi

Does anyone know what a 2-wire dc polarity reversing voltage signal is? I have never heard of this type of signal before. I have gone insane trying to google it but to no avail. Any sort of help will be much appreciated.

Welcome to the PF. Sounds like an AC signalling scheme to me. Where did you see it referenced?

I am an avionics engineer and an autopilot computer manual lists it as one of its outputs. It is a two-wire signal with "format" listed as "polarity reversing dc signal" and then it lists the scale of the signal as 300mV/deg...which i don't think is relevant.

Related to 2-wire dc polarity reversing signal

1) What is a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal?

A 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal is a type of electrical signal used in electronic circuits that allows for the reversal of the polarity (positive or negative) of the current flow through the circuit. This is achieved using only two wires, making it a simple and cost-effective solution for controlling the direction of DC motors or other devices.

2) How does a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal work?

A 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal works by using a special type of electronic switch called a "H-bridge." This switch allows the current to flow in either direction through the circuit, effectively reversing the polarity. The switch is controlled by a small electronic circuit, usually a microcontroller or a specialized driver chip, which receives signals from a control source (such as a remote control or a computer) to determine the direction of the current flow.

3) What are the advantages of using a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal?

One of the main advantages of using a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal is its simplicity. With only two wires, this type of signal is easy to implement and requires fewer components compared to other methods of controlling the direction of DC motors. Additionally, it allows for bi-directional control, meaning the motor can be run in both forward and reverse directions. This makes it a versatile solution for various applications.

4) Are there any limitations to using a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal?

While a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal is a simple and effective solution, it does have some limitations. One major limitation is that it can only control the direction of DC motors or devices, not their speed. Additionally, the size and power requirements of the motor must be taken into consideration when choosing the appropriate H-bridge and control circuit to ensure they can handle the load.

5) How is a 2-wire DC polarity reversing signal used in real-world applications?

2-wire DC polarity reversing signals are commonly used in various applications, including robotic systems, remote-controlled vehicles, and industrial machinery. They are also used in household appliances, such as ceiling fans and electric drills, to control the direction of their motors. Additionally, this type of signal can be found in electronic toys, model trains, and many other devices that require bi-directional control of DC motors.