2 vectors with cylindrical polar coordinates

In summary: So, I'd could divide by the product of their magnitudes to get the cosine of the angle?In summary, the homework equations state that a) express the distance from origin described by each P and Q in cartesian coordinates, and b) find the distance between P and Q and the vector displacement between P and Q. The attempt at a solution states that a) P and Q have the same origin and b) the distance between P and Q is found by sqrt(Px-Qx,Py-Qy,Pz-Qz). Finally, you are asked for input on parts a) and b) of the homework equations. For c) Polar coordinates (angle, radius)? .. radius
hmaier
Hi this isn't my homework, but it is taken from a worksheet for a Maths course(trying to refresh my rusty math), so I hope it fits in here.

1. Homework Statement

two cylindrical polar vectors with same origin:
P(2,55°,3); Q(4,25°,6) units in m

Homework Equations

a) Express in cartesian coordinates
b) Express in unit vectors
c) Find the distance from origin described by each P and Q
d) Find the distance between P and Q and the vector displacement between P and Q
e) Express the distance between P and Q in degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
P(2*cos(55), 2*sin(55), 3)
Q(4*cos(25), 4*sin(25), 6)

b)
P:
i= (cos(55), sin(55), 0)
j= (-sin(55), cos(55), 0)
k=(0,0,1)

Q:
i= (cos(25), sin(25), 0)
j= (-sin(25), cos(25), 0)
k=(0,0,1)

c) That would just be a matter of calculating the magnitude, correct?

d)
is this correct?
sqrt( Px - Qx, Py - Qy, Pz - Qz)
using the cartesian coordinates.
Would you please point me in the right direction as to what the difference is between calculating the vector displacement and the distance between the two points?I'd appreciate your input and hope I got some of it right at least!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmaier said:
Hi this isn't my homework, but it is taken from a worksheet for a Maths course(trying to refresh my rusty math), so I hope it fits in here.

1. Homework Statement

two cylindrical polar vectors with same origin:
P(2,55°,3); Q(4,25°,6) units in m

Homework Equations

a) Express in cartesian coordinates
b) Express in unit vectors
c) Find the distance from origin described by each P and Q
d) Find the distance between P and Q and the vector displacement between P and Q
e) Express the distance between P and Q in degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

d)
is this correct?
sqrt( Px - Qx, Py - Qy, Pz - Qz)
using the cartesian coordinates.
Would you please point me in the right direction as to what the difference is between calculating the vector displacement and the distance between the two points?
You seem t have omitted something from the expression above.
Remember the Pythagorean relation: c2 = a2 + b2

Likes hmaier
For c) Arent polar coordinates (angle, radius)? .. radius as in distance to origin ? ...

Likes hmaier
SteamKing said:
You seem t have omitted something from the expression above.
Remember the Pythagorean relation: c2 = a2 + b2
Oh my, right, that was silly.
It should be like so, right?
sqrt( (Px - Qx)^2 + (Py - Qy)^2 + (Pz - Qz)^2 )

would you please comment on part a) and b) as well?

WrongMan said:
For c) Arent polar coordinates (angle, radius)? .. radius as in distance to origin ? ...
you are so right, WrongMan! Thanks for that.
so if I'm not mistaken:

c)
P: 2m
Q: 4m

e)
With all lenghts of an imaginary triangle known (distance to P, distance to Q and distance between both of them), I can just use the Cosine law, correct?

I don't think you have understood what is being asked for in part b. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it is just asking you to take the Cartesian form and write it out as a sum of unit vectors, where ##\vec i## (or maybe ##\hat i##) stands for (1,0,0) etc.

In part c, don't forget the z contribution.

For part e, an alternative would be to use the dot product of the vectors.

Last edited:
Likes hmaier
haruspex said:
In part c, don't forget the z contribution.
oh right, cylindrical... missed that bit

haruspex said:
For part e, an alternative would be to use the dot product of the vectors.
ok, dot product would be
=Px*Qx + Py*Qy + Pz*Qz using the cartesian coordinates, correct?

for c) that would be
for P: Sqrt(2^2+3^2)
and
for Q: SQRT( 4^2+6^2)
?
I'll have another look at e) later.

Thanks so much this really helped already.
I think I have to read up more on unit vectors again, as I'm a little confused regarding your suggestion haruspex.

Also, I am still uncertain what the vector displacement is, and how it is different from the distance between the two.

hmaier said:
ok, dot product would be
=Px*Qx + Py*Qy + Pz*Qz using the cartesian coordinates
Right, but how does that relate to the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them?
hmaier said:
for c) that would be
for P: Sqrt(2^2+3^2)
and
for Q: SQRT( 4^2+6^2)
Yes.
hmaier said:
Also, I am still uncertain what the vector displacement is, and how it is different from the distance between the two.
Displacement is the vector difference. Distance is its magnitude.
hmaier said:
I think I have to read up more on unit vectors again, as I'm a little confused regarding your suggestion haruspex.
In the usual i, j, k notation, ##\hat i, \hat j, \hat k## are the unit vectors (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1). A vector (a,b,c) you can write as ##a\hat i+b\hat j+ c\hat k##.

Likes hmaier
haruspex said:
Right, but how does that relate to the magnitudes of the vectors and the angle between them?
So, I'd could divide by the product of their magnitudes to get the cosine of the angle?

haruspex said:
In the usual i, j, k notation, ##\hat i, \hat j, \hat k## are the unit vectors (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1). A vector (a,b,c) you can write as ##a\hat i+b\hat j+ c\hat k##.
Ok, that is straight-forward, thanks!

-------
EDIT:
Also thanks for clarifying vector displacement vs distance!

hmaier said:
So, I'd could divide by the product of their magnitudes to get the cosine of the angle?
Yes.

Related to 2 vectors with cylindrical polar coordinates

1. What are cylindrical polar coordinates?

Cylindrical polar coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from a fixed reference direction, and a height or elevation from a fixed reference plane.

2. How are vectors represented in cylindrical polar coordinates?

Vectors in cylindrical polar coordinates are represented by their magnitude and direction. The magnitude is the length of the vector, and the direction is the angle it makes with the reference direction in the coordinate system.

3. How do you add two vectors with cylindrical polar coordinates?

To add two vectors in cylindrical polar coordinates, you first convert them to Cartesian coordinates. Then, add the x-components of the vectors and the y-components of the vectors separately. Finally, convert the resulting vector back to cylindrical polar coordinates.

4. Can you have negative values in cylindrical polar coordinates?

Yes, negative values are possible in cylindrical polar coordinates. The distance from the origin can be negative if the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the reference direction. The angle and height can also be negative if they are measured in the opposite direction of the reference plane.

5. How do you convert between cylindrical polar and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you use the following equations: x = r * cos(θ), y = r * sin(θ), and z = h. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical polar coordinates, you use the equations: r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), and h = z.