Is Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt Still Being Used Against Linux?

In summary, Microsoft uses fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) to try to compete with Linux. However, Linux has been around for a long time and is growing in popularity. Windows is not as stable or high tech as it used to be, and is getting older and more buggy.
Saint
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt

This is the tactic used by Microsoft against Linux.

Very despicable.

Linux's OS had been improved a lot, it has everything microsoft has (except Games ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I would submit to you that they also have not achieved the ease of use that Msoft has. Nor the hardware support...

As far as Msoft using business strategy to crush competition...isn't that the point of business strategy?

Dispicable?
The essence of business is to put fear into competitors BEFORE they compete. That's why you have a computer in the first place.

Besides, it's long since been known MICROSOFT makes the best stuff. That's why they're the biggest. Get used to it, they are going nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Considering
I would submit to you that they also have not achieved the ease of use that Msoft has. Nor the hardware support...

Though I can agree with the ease of use thing to a certain extent, I have an issue with the hardware support.. Microsoft is in business with several of the major hardware manufacturers or, if they are not, the hardware is built to be used in a Microsoft environment. This is a major advantage for compatibility. Considering that the majority of Linux has been built by volunteers and have still managed to have as much support as it does is actually quite a feat.

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist

Besides, it's long since been known MICROSOFT makes the best stuff. That's why they're the biggest. Get used to it, they are going nowhere.

Is there any reason your posts seem so.. tyrannical?

Anyhow, to rebut this, the "best stuff" is entirely subjective. They make the most compatible-with-preexisting-stuff. I've used a lot of software on Linux that I consider to be superior to Microsoft products for a number of reasons besides usability, appearance, and simplicity.

1. It does not cost an arm or a leg (and often times, costs nothing at all.)

2. It is not locked into proprietary formats and most of the time you are able to choose from a number of different formats.

If this is not specific enough, there is a word processing program called OpenOffice.org which can save as .doc, .sxw, .xls etc. depending on what you're using it for. Considering that the program is free, does all of the things you would normally want from Microsoft Office, and is actually quite advanced, I would definitely say it is superior.

3. There is more choice *in general*. You are not licensing software - once it's on your machine, you own it.

Anyhow, if I were you I would look into Microsoft's business tactics more. There is a reason they were taken to court for trying to be a monopoly. They practice very shady business practices.

edit: fixed some of the quoting
edit2: fixed quoting again

Last edited:
Let me first point out that Galatea's second quote in the previous post, although attributed to me, belongs to LogicalAtheist.

Second let me also point out that I never said that Linux did not have good, even great, hardware support in light of its developer base. But the fact is, Windows has vastly better hardware support, period.

That is not to say Linux is useless, or that I don't respect it as a player in the OS-scape. Linux definitely has its niche carved out, and I would bet it is here to stay.

FUD is fine its just a marketing technique but the more MS uses it the more absurd it becomes. MS has done nothing less than admit that not even they have enough of a handle on their own bloatware to secure the windows OS.

I've noticed windows rot on my XP proffesional computer. I don't really have anything nice to say about MS's products. They've got some creative features in their products when they first hit the market VS .NET comes to mind. But in the end, the rot sets in, everything starts to break and you can either get a new computer or reformat. Its not worth the money to buy nice features that only work for a few months.

All in all, most new hardware works on Linux. You can get joysticks and keyboards that need drivers that won't work, or you can get some scanners that won't work. For the most part though if you installed RH 9 today everything would probably be working the first time you boot up without you doing anything. That doesn't happen in windows. Its install driver, reboot, install driver, reboot, reboot, etc. etc.

Linux is getting better and better, and windows is staying the same. That's about it. MS isn't producing a more stable, secure, higher tech, cutting edge OS, they're producing bloatware and eyecandy. Linux is implementing the latest OS technology like improved filesystems, thread management, etc. Windows will always be around because people think linux is hard or they buy the FUD and think its broken, but I think its at the point that even your grandma can use it these days. :)

My grandma can't find the power button on her computer, much less figure some of linux's more powerful features. Of course, most beginnners/casual users don't utilize the more powerful features, so that's an argument too.

However, I found the Linux install program with redhat (when it failed to detect video) took some thought to get through. With video, it was less of an issue.

However, I've never seen windows fail to use video during a setup. I think the fact remains, Windows is easier, by FAR, to use for an inexperianced person.

That is not to say it will always be that way, but my issue is this. Microsoft has billions of dollars in the bank, enough to pay for whatever they want. (They seem bent on taking the world over, currently). Whereas Linux is being developed for the most part by freelance developers. Now, RedHat is finding ways to make money off of it, which is an excellent first step. But the fact remains...Microsoft remains in a much better position to stop Linux.

That was a pretty long post, so I'll ascribe a 3 cent value to it ;)

My 3 cents...

1. What is fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD)?

Fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) is a marketing tactic used to discourage consumers from using a particular product or service by spreading false information or exaggerating potential risks or flaws. It is often used by companies to promote their own products over those of their competitors.

2. Is FUD still being used against Linux?

Yes, FUD is still being used against Linux, although it has become less common in recent years. Some companies and individuals may still spread false information about Linux in order to promote their own products or to discourage users from switching to Linux.

3. What are some common FUD tactics used against Linux?

Some common FUD tactics used against Linux include spreading rumors about security vulnerabilities, questioning the stability and reliability of the operating system, and claiming that it is difficult to use or not compatible with popular software.

4. How does the Linux community respond to FUD?

The Linux community typically responds to FUD by providing factual information and correcting any misinformation. They may also point out the benefits and advantages of using Linux, such as its open-source nature, customization options, and security features.

5. Can FUD impact the adoption of Linux?

Yes, FUD can impact the adoption of Linux by creating doubts and uncertainties in the minds of potential users. However, the Linux community and its strong reputation for reliability and security have helped to counteract the effects of FUD and increase adoption rates over the years.