Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2 questions regarding initial values and verifying solutions

nathancurtis11

Sep 3, 2013
I want to start out with a quick disclaimer, we had a 75 question homework packet assigned a few weeks ago with a few questions from every lecture and this first one is due tomorrow. I missed a lecture, so am completely lost on 3 questions from that lecture. Just dont want it to seem like I'm dumping my whole homework assignment on here so I don't have to do it myself! Just so close to finishing this monstrous packet and need some guidance! Here are the first 2 questions:

Question 1:
The function f: (all real) -> (all real) is defined by the set
{ y''+(pi)2y=0
S: { y(1/3) = (3).5
{ y'(1/3) = -pi

Find two numbers (c1 and c2) such that
c1cos((pi)x) + c2 sin((pi(x))

Question 2:
Let f: I -> (all real) be a solution of the diff eq y''-xy'+y=0
a) is f 3 times differentiable?
b) is f smooth?

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I want to start out with a quick disclaimer, we had a 75 question homework packet assigned a few weeks ago with a few questions from every lecture and this first one is due tomorrow. I missed a lecture, so am completely lost on 3 questions from that lecture. Just dont want it to seem like I'm dumping my whole homework assignment on here so I don't have to do it myself! Just so close to finishing this monstrous packet and need some guidance! Here are the first 2 questions:

Question 1:
The function f: (all real) -> (all real) is defined by the set
{ y''+(pi)2y=0
S: { y(1/3) = (3).5
{ y'(1/3) = -pi

Find two numbers (c1 and c2) such that
c1cos((pi)x) + c2 sin((pi(x))
Since the general solution of $y^{\prime\prime}+\pi^2 y=0$ is $y=c_1\cos(\pi x)+c_2\sin(\pi x)$, it follows that $y^{\prime}=-\pi c_1\sin(\pi x) + \pi c_2\cos(\pi x)$. At this point, you would want to plug in the initial conditions $y(1/3)=\sqrt{3}$ and $y^{\prime}(1/3)=-\pi$ to get the system of equations
\[\left\{\begin{aligned} c_1\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) + c_2\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) &= \sqrt{3} \\ -\pi c_1\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) + \pi c_2\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) &= -\pi\end{aligned}\right.\]
I'll leave simplifying the system of equations to you, as well as solving the system. All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult to finish off the problem from here.

Question 2:
b) is f smooth?

If $f:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is a solution to $y^{\prime\prime}-xy^{\prime}+y=0$, then we know for sure it's at least two times differentiable; in particular, if $y=f(x)$ is the solution, then we know that $f^{\prime\prime}(x)= xf^{\prime}(x) - f(x)$. Now, $x$, $f(x)$ are at least twice differentiable and $f^{\prime}(x)$ is at least once differentiable; thus, it follows that
\[\frac{d}{dx}\left(xf^{\prime}(x)-f(x)\right)= f^{\prime}(x) + xf^{\prime\prime}(x) - f^{\prime}(x) = xf^{\prime\prime}(x) = x^2f^{\prime}(x)-xf(x).\]
Thus, we've expressed the third derivative of $f$ in terms of functions that are at least once and twice differentiable. To me, this is good enough to show that $f$ is at least three times differentiable. You can extend this argument to showing that $f(x)$ is smooth (i.e. infinitely times differentiable) by showing that the higher order derivatives can be defined in terms of the lower order derivatives.

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to post them!

I hope this makes sense!

nathancurtis11

Sep 3, 2013
Thank you Chris! Once explained I realized how easy they actually were, just was frustrated never seeing anything of the sort before that wasn't quite sure how to get started.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Let me add a bit. As Chris mentioned differentiating both sides gives

$f''' = x f''$

This you can integrate to find $f$ explicitly!

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Question 2:
b) is f smooth?
The solving procedure for a second order incomplete linear ODE ...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} - x\ y^{\ '} + y =0\ (1)$

... has been illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/different...inear-variable-coefficient-2089.html#post9571

If u and v are solution of (1), then is...

$\displaystyle u^{\ ''} - x\ u^{\ '} + u = 0$

$\displaystyle v^{\ ''} - x\ v^{\ '} + v = 0\ (2)$

... and multiplying the first equation by v and the second by u a computing the difference we have...

$\displaystyle v\ u^{\ ''} - u\ v^{\ ''} - x\ (v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}) = 0\ (3)$

... and taking $\displaystyle z= v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}$ we have the first order ODE...

$\displaystyle z^{\ '} = x\ z\ (4)$

... the solution of which is...

$\displaystyle z= c_{2}\ e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}\ (5)$

From (5) we3 derive...

$\displaystyle \frac{z}{v^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{u}{v}) = c_{2}\ \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}} \implies u = c_{1}\ v + c_{2}\ v\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}}\ dx\ (6)$

It is easy to verify that $\displaystyle v=x$ is solution of (1) and that means that from (6) we derive that $\displaystyle u = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx$ is also solution and the general solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1}\ x + c_{2}\ x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx\ (7)$

A precise characterization of the u(x) has to be made before to answer the points 1 and 2...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
The solving procedure for a second order incomplete linear ODE ...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} - x\ y^{\ '} + y =0\ (1)$

... has been illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/different...inear-variable-coefficient-2089.html#post9571

If u and v are solution of (1), then is...

$\displaystyle u^{\ ''} - x\ u^{\ '} + u = 0$

$\displaystyle v^{\ ''} - x\ v^{\ '} + v = 0\ (2)$

... and multiplying the first equation by v and the second by u a computing the difference we have...

$\displaystyle v\ u^{\ ''} - u\ v^{\ ''} - x\ (v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}) = 0\ (3)$

... and taking $\displaystyle z= v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}$ we have the first order ODE...

$\displaystyle z^{\ '} = x\ z\ (4)$

... the solution of which is...

$\displaystyle z= c_{2}\ e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}\ (5)$

From (5) we3 derive...

$\displaystyle \frac{z}{v^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{u}{v}) = c_{2}\ \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}} \implies u = c_{1}\ v + c_{2}\ v\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}}\ dx\ (6)$

It is easy to verify that $\displaystyle v=x$ is solution of (1) and that means that from (6) we derive that $\displaystyle u = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx$ is also solution and the general solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1}\ x + c_{2}\ x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx\ (7)$

A precise characterization of the u(x) has to be made before to answer the points 1 and 2...
If we analyse the function...

$\displaystyle u(x) = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ d x\ (1)$

... using the series expansion...

$\displaystyle e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}} = 1 + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{4}}{8} + \frac{x^{6}}{48} + ...\ (2)$

... with symple steps we obtain...

$\displaystyle u(x) = -1 + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{4}}{24} + \frac{x^{6}}{240} + ...\ (3)$

... and the series (3) converges for any real [and complex...] x...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$