2 questions regarding initial values and verifying solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter nathancurtis111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Initial
In summary, we discussed the procedure for solving a second order incomplete linear ODE and showed that the general solution for the given problem is $y = c_1x + c_2x\int\frac{e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}}{x^2}\ dx$. Additionally, we determined that the function $f$ is at least three times differentiable and smooth.
nathancurtis111
I want to start out with a quick disclaimer, we had a 75 question homework packet assigned a few weeks ago with a few questions from every lecture and this first one is due tomorrow. I missed a lecture, so am completely lost on 3 questions from that lecture. Just don't want it to seem like I'm dumping my whole homework assignment on here so I don't have to do it myself! Just so close to finishing this monstrous packet and need some guidance! Here are the first 2 questions:

Question 1:
The function f: (all real) -> (all real) is defined by the set
{ y''+(pi)2y=0
S: { y(1/3) = (3).5
{ y'(1/3) = -pi

Find two numbers (c1 and c2) such that
c1cos((pi)x) + c2 sin((pi(x))Question 2:
Let f: I -> (all real) be a solution of the diff eq y''-xy'+y=0
a) is f 3 times differentiable?
b) is f smooth?

Physics news on Phys.org
nathancurtis11 said:
I want to start out with a quick disclaimer, we had a 75 question homework packet assigned a few weeks ago with a few questions from every lecture and this first one is due tomorrow. I missed a lecture, so am completely lost on 3 questions from that lecture. Just don't want it to seem like I'm dumping my whole homework assignment on here so I don't have to do it myself! Just so close to finishing this monstrous packet and need some guidance! Here are the first 2 questions:

Question 1:
The function f: (all real) -> (all real) is defined by the set
{ y''+(pi)2y=0
S: { y(1/3) = (3).5
{ y'(1/3) = -pi

Find two numbers (c1 and c2) such that
c1cos((pi)x) + c2 sin((pi(x))

Since the general solution of $y^{\prime\prime}+\pi^2 y=0$ is $y=c_1\cos(\pi x)+c_2\sin(\pi x)$, it follows that $y^{\prime}=-\pi c_1\sin(\pi x) + \pi c_2\cos(\pi x)$. At this point, you would want to plug in the initial conditions $y(1/3)=\sqrt{3}$ and $y^{\prime}(1/3)=-\pi$ to get the system of equations
\[\left\{\begin{aligned} c_1\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) + c_2\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) &= \sqrt{3} \\ -\pi c_1\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) + \pi c_2\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{3}\right) &= -\pi\end{aligned}\right.\]
I'll leave simplifying the system of equations to you, as well as solving the system. All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult to finish off the problem from here.
Question 2:
b) is f smooth?
If $f:I\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is a solution to $y^{\prime\prime}-xy^{\prime}+y=0$, then we know for sure it's at least two times differentiable; in particular, if $y=f(x)$ is the solution, then we know that $f^{\prime\prime}(x)= xf^{\prime}(x) - f(x)$. Now, $x$, $f(x)$ are at least twice differentiable and $f^{\prime}(x)$ is at least once differentiable; thus, it follows that
\[\frac{d}{dx}\left(xf^{\prime}(x)-f(x)\right)= f^{\prime}(x) + xf^{\prime\prime}(x) - f^{\prime}(x) = xf^{\prime\prime}(x) = x^2f^{\prime}(x)-xf(x).\]
Thus, we've expressed the third derivative of $f$ in terms of functions that are at least once and twice differentiable. To me, this is good enough to show that $f$ is at least three times differentiable. You can extend this argument to showing that $f(x)$ is smooth (i.e. infinitely times differentiable) by showing that the higher order derivatives can be defined in terms of the lower order derivatives.

If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to post them!

I hope this makes sense!

Thank you Chris! Once explained I realized how easy they actually were, just was frustrated never seeing anything of the sort before that wasn't quite sure how to get started.

Let me add a bit. As Chris mentioned differentiating both sides gives

$f''' = x f''$

This you can integrate to find $f$ explicitly!

nathancurtis11 said:
Question 2:
b) is f smooth?

The solving procedure for a second order incomplete linear ODE ...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} - x\ y^{\ '} + y =0\ (1)$

... has been illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/differential-equations-17/how-solve-differential-equation-second-order-linear-variable-coefficient-2089.html#post9571

If u and v are solution of (1), then is...

$\displaystyle u^{\ ''} - x\ u^{\ '} + u = 0$

$\displaystyle v^{\ ''} - x\ v^{\ '} + v = 0\ (2)$

... and multiplying the first equation by v and the second by u a computing the difference we have...

$\displaystyle v\ u^{\ ''} - u\ v^{\ ''} - x\ (v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}) = 0\ (3)$

... and taking $\displaystyle z= v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}$ we have the first order ODE...

$\displaystyle z^{\ '} = x\ z\ (4)$

... the solution of which is...

$\displaystyle z= c_{2}\ e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}\ (5)$

From (5) we3 derive...

$\displaystyle \frac{z}{v^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{u}{v}) = c_{2}\ \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}} \implies u = c_{1}\ v + c_{2}\ v\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}}\ dx\ (6)$

It is easy to verify that $\displaystyle v=x$ is solution of (1) and that means that from (6) we derive that $\displaystyle u = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx$ is also solution and the general solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1}\ x + c_{2}\ x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx\ (7)$

A precise characterization of the u(x) has to be made before to answer the points 1 and 2...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The solving procedure for a second order incomplete linear ODE ...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} - x\ y^{\ '} + y =0\ (1)$

... has been illustrated in...

http://mathhelpboards.com/differential-equations-17/how-solve-differential-equation-second-order-linear-variable-coefficient-2089.html#post9571

If u and v are solution of (1), then is...

$\displaystyle u^{\ ''} - x\ u^{\ '} + u = 0$

$\displaystyle v^{\ ''} - x\ v^{\ '} + v = 0\ (2)$

... and multiplying the first equation by v and the second by u a computing the difference we have...

$\displaystyle v\ u^{\ ''} - u\ v^{\ ''} - x\ (v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}) = 0\ (3)$

... and taking $\displaystyle z= v\ u^{\ '} - u\ v^{\ '}$ we have the first order ODE...

$\displaystyle z^{\ '} = x\ z\ (4)$

... the solution of which is...

$\displaystyle z= c_{2}\ e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}\ (5)$

From (5) we3 derive...

$\displaystyle \frac{z}{v^{2}} = \frac{d}{dx} (\frac{u}{v}) = c_{2}\ \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}} \implies u = c_{1}\ v + c_{2}\ v\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{v^{2}}\ dx\ (6)$

It is easy to verify that $\displaystyle v=x$ is solution of (1) and that means that from (6) we derive that $\displaystyle u = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx$ is also solution and the general solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1}\ x + c_{2}\ x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ dx\ (7)$

A precise characterization of the u(x) has to be made before to answer the points 1 and 2...

If we analyse the function...

$\displaystyle u(x) = x\ \int \frac{e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}}}{x^{2}}\ d x\ (1)$

... using the series expansion...

$\displaystyle e^{\frac{x^{2}}{2}} = 1 + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{4}}{8} + \frac{x^{6}}{48} + ...\ (2)$

... with symple steps we obtain...

$\displaystyle u(x) = -1 + \frac{x^{2}}{2} + \frac{x^{4}}{24} + \frac{x^{6}}{240} + ...\ (3)$

... and the series (3) converges for any real [and complex...] x...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to 2 questions regarding initial values and verifying solutions

What are initial values in a scientific context?

Initial values refer to the starting conditions or parameters of a system or experiment. They are typically defined and set at the beginning of a study to establish a baseline for comparison with future data.

Why is it important to accurately determine initial values?

Accurately determining initial values is crucial for ensuring the validity and reliability of the results of a study. Any errors or inconsistencies in initial values can greatly impact the outcome and interpretation of the data.

How do scientists verify the accuracy of initial values?

Scientists verify the accuracy of initial values through various methods such as calibration, replication, and control groups. These techniques help to minimize experimental error and ensure the initial values are consistent and reliable.

Can initial values change during the course of a study?

Yes, initial values can change during the course of a study if certain factors or conditions are altered. However, it is important for scientists to carefully monitor and document any changes to the initial values to accurately interpret the results.

What happens if the initial values are incorrect?

If the initial values are incorrect, the results of the study may be inaccurate or misleading. It is important for scientists to carefully determine and validate initial values to ensure the validity and reliability of their research.