2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this

• Thread starter Diamond Dave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, the conversation is about using a charged capacitor on a permanent magnet and creating a ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet. The experts suggest that attaching a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet will not change it to an electromagnet. However, during the discharge of the capacitor, there may be a combined effect that enhances the power of the electromagnet. The process of making a ferromagnetic backing plate is unclear and further clarification is needed from Diamond Dave.
Diamond Dave
if anyone wishes to answer my questions would it be too much to ask you to e-mail me the answer.
Because I get notices that people have answered other questions, For the life of me I don't know where
the answers are going to... all I see is the alert that Mr. or Mrs. Peoples answered my question.
<< e-mail address removed by Mentors >>

before I forget Thank You
Dave
If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Diamond Dave said:
If you attach a charged capacitor to a permanent magnet does it change it to an electromagnet?

Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

no it doesn't and of the magnet is as usual, bare metal, then it will just short out the capacitor with a spark

My second question

ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet how do you make one or buy one?
Can I make out of cast iron? If so can it be flat or does it need to be in the form of a cup and press in the magnet?

I tried googling " ferromagnetic backing plate for a permanent magnet " got some oddball results

would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?

Dave

davenn said:
would you like to explain what you are doing clearer ?
maybe some one else knows what you are referring to ?
The best person best to explain what he has in mind is Diamond Dave. :wink:

Over to you, Diamond Dave ...

But, for the short period of time while the capacitor is discharging, you get a current through the magnet, and you have some combined effect. The current will tend to realign the ferromagnet, so the ferromagnet enhances the power of the electromagnet. I think the ferromagnet behaves like an inductor.

Related to 2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this

What is "2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this"?

"2 questions I wish I had gone to school for this" is a statement that expresses regret for not pursuing a particular field of study during one's education.

Why do people wish they had gone to school for certain topics?

People may wish they had gone to school for certain topics because they realize the value and importance of that field in their personal or professional lives, or because they have a strong interest in that subject but did not have the opportunity to study it.

What are some common examples of topics that people wish they had gone to school for?

Some common examples of topics that people wish they had gone to school for include computer science, engineering, medicine, business, and psychology.

Is it too late to pursue education in a field that I previously wished I had gone to school for?

No, it is never too late to pursue education in a field that you are interested in. Many universities and colleges offer adult education or online programs to accommodate individuals who may have other commitments or responsibilities.

Can I still have a successful career even if I did not go to school for a particular topic?

Yes, having a successful career is not solely dependent on one's education. Many successful individuals have achieved success through hard work, determination, and continuously learning and developing their skills and knowledge in their chosen field.