2 Problems/Trig Function and Identity

In summary, the person is struggling with their trigonometry teacher and has a few problems that they need help with before their exam. They are asking for clarification on whether a given function is odd and for help simplifying another problem involving trigonometric functions. They are advised to try simplifying by multiplying the denominators and also to keep other known identities in mind. The answer to the second problem is not 0.
APHELION
Hello everyone. I officially have the worst Trig teacher in America and I have never been so confused in a math class before. I have at least 5 problems (only 2 posted here) I'm struggling with and need to figure out before my exam tomorrow. Any help is much appreciated.

Homework Statement

The function f(x) = x - sin x is odd. True or False?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From my professors review I know it's True but his explanation was so unclear I don't know why. ??2.

Homework Statement

sin[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]/[/tex]1-cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]- sin[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]/[/tex]1+cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]=

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up with 0 as the solution. ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a function to be odd, it must satisfy f(-x) = -f(x)
Try applying that to your function.

Is this what you mean for the second one?
[tex]\frac{sin\alpha}{1 - cos\alpha} - \frac{sin\alpha}{1 + cos\alpha}[/tex]

Are you supposed to simplify it or prove an identity?

So on the function problem I need to substitute -x and -f into the equation and solve?

On the identity problem they want to me simplify and yes you have it correct above.

With your f(x), evaluate f(-x) and see if you get -f(x). If you do, then f(x) is an odd function.

For the other problem, show what you tried; I don't think it's equal to 0.

Cool, I was able to get -f(x) on the first one.

Honestly I feel really stupid on the second one. I don't know where to start other than getting a common denominator and then evaluating? Is that even how it would go?

That's probably way wrong but that's why I'm here lol...

Last edited:
Try multiplying by the conjugates of the denominators to simplify. That's one of the first things you should try doing with trig problems like this.

trig functions are just functions of numbers like anything else, you shouldn't think that you aren't allowed to take common denominators..et c and everything else.

for your question, the denominators 1- cos x and 1+cosx, the answer should be fairly clean. And when you get stuck simplifying, keep other known identities in mind (like the Pythagorean theorem).

The answer isn't 0

Related to 2 Problems/Trig Function and Identity

1. What are the 2 problems associated with trigonometric functions?

The two main problems associated with trigonometric functions are the calculation of missing sides and angles in a right triangle (known as trigonometric ratios) and the use of trigonometric functions to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances.

2. How can I determine the value of a trigonometric function?

The value of a trigonometric function can be determined using a calculator or by using trigonometric tables. These tables provide the values of trigonometric functions for commonly used angles such as 0°, 30°, 45°, 60°, and 90°. For other angles, the values can be calculated using trigonometric identities or by using a calculator.

3. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. These identities are used to simplify trigonometric expressions or to prove other trigonometric identities. Some common identities include the Pythagorean identity, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. How can I use trigonometric functions to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions are commonly used in real-world problems to determine distances, heights, and angles. For example, they can be used to find the height of a building by measuring the angle of elevation from a known distance. They can also be used to calculate distances between two points using the law of cosines or law of sines.

5. What are some common applications of trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, navigation, and astronomy. They are used to model and solve problems involving waves, vibrations, and periodic motion. They are also used in the design and construction of structures such as bridges and buildings.