2-node Frame FEM element thermal formulation

In summary, this person is asking about the correct way to calculate frame elements thermal coefficients, and they are not sure whether the formulation is correct. They also mention that if they introduce the Q matrix on the right side of the linear equations, they always get incorrect solutions.
Ronankeating
[itex]\int[/itex]hi all,

I need just little bit of confirmation about what I'm doing.

Normally I know how the stiffness matrix is composed for 2 node frame element in 3D space. which creates 12x12 matrix for that element, if there is also thermal loading on frame element additional coefficients(Q12x1 matrix) will contribute to the RHS of KxU=F equation.

Q=TRANSPOSE(\begin{bmatrix}Px1&0&0&0&-My1&Mz1&-Px2&0&0&0&My2&-Mz2\end{bmatrix})
where
Px = E*A*[itex]\alpha[/itex]*ΔT
My = [itex]\int \alpha[/itex]*E*ΔT*z*dA
Mz = [itex]\int \alpha[/itex]*E*ΔT*y*dA

Is this the correct formulation of 3D frame elements thermal coefficients matrix?

Frame stiffness matrix works flawlessly, but if I introduce the Q on the right side of linear equations I always get the wrong solutions. The process itself is so simple but couldn't spot what I'm doing wrong.

Your help will be appreciated,

Regards,

Engineering news on Phys.org
A uniform temperature rise in a beam element will not create any bending. To bend the beam you would need a thermal gradient from one side to the other. That is sometimes included in thermal loading of plate elements, with heat flowing through the thickness of the plate, but it doesn't sound very relevant for a building frame element.

The "simple" way to derive the loads is consider what happens to an element without any external loads or restraints. It will expand by an amount ##\alpha L \Delta T## where ##L## is the length of the element. To force it back to its original length, you need to apply axial loads ##F## and ##-F## at the two ends, where ##F = K \alpha L \Delta T##.

The axial stiffness ##K = EA/L##, so ##F = EA \alpha \Delta T##.

The load vector, in the element coordinate system, is
##Q = \begin{bmatrix} F & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & -F & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}##.
(Warning, Q might be minus the above, but that's easy enough to check with a test problem.)

Remember you also need to subtract the thermal strains before you calculate the element stresses!

Related to 2-node Frame FEM element thermal formulation

1. What is a 2-node frame FEM element?

A 2-node frame FEM (Finite Element Method) element is a mathematical model used to analyze the thermal behavior of a structure or system. It is composed of two nodes, or points, connected by a line element, and is commonly used in structural analysis and design.

2. How is thermal behavior incorporated in a 2-node frame FEM element?

The thermal behavior in a 2-node frame FEM element is incorporated through the use of thermal loads, which represent the heat flow or temperature change within the structure. These loads are applied to the nodes and are then distributed throughout the element, allowing for the analysis of thermal stresses and deformations.

3. What is the thermal formulation used in a 2-node frame FEM element?

The thermal formulation used in a 2-node frame FEM element is based on the principles of heat transfer, using the Fourier law to calculate the temperature distribution within the structure. This temperature distribution is then used to determine the thermal stresses and strains within the element.

4. What are the advantages of using a 2-node frame FEM element for thermal analysis?

One advantage of using a 2-node frame FEM element for thermal analysis is its simplicity, as it only requires two nodes and one element to model the thermal behavior of a structure. Additionally, it is computationally efficient and can handle both steady-state and transient thermal problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 2-node frame FEM element for thermal analysis?

One limitation of using a 2-node frame FEM element for thermal analysis is that it assumes a linear temperature distribution within the element, which may not always be accurate for complex structures. It is also limited in its ability to model thermal boundary conditions, such as heat transfer between different materials or thermal radiation.