2 masses attached with a spring falling

In summary, two balls of equal mass attached by a spring and hanging in equilibrium will oscillate when the rope is cut, due to the potential energy stored in the spring causing displacement and resulting in oscillation. The equilibrium point of the system changes when the rope is cut, leading to the oscillation. The system can be treated like two masses on a horizontal table until it hits the ground.
Dweirdo

Homework Statement

2 balls, each of mass M, are attached to each other by a spring with constant k.
they hanged out by a rope, so they are in equilibrium, the rope was cut and they fall.
do they Oscillate?

Homework Equations

effective g=g-a (vectors) when a=g, effective g=0.
Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

now my opinion is split here, from 1 point of view they both fall with acceleration g, so they shouldn't oscillate (that's based on logic) its like throwing a bottle with a hole in it, and no water will come out of the bottle , but on the other hand,the spring was stretched initially, and if m falls with acceleration g, the net force on it should be Fnet=mg, but in this case it's not, the spring is stretched so there is a force upwards(looking at the lower mass) and mg down , so what's the answer, will it?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When it is at rest and you displace it from equilibrium and release it what does it do?

When it is hanging is there any displacement from equilibrium?

When it is cut what displacement from the new equilibrium point are the weights from each other?

At last a reply! :D
thanks, ok so here is what i think:
LowlyPion said:
When it is at rest and you displace it from equilibrium and release it what does it do?
It oscillates.
LowlyPion said:
NO.
LowlyPion said:
When it is cut what displacement from the new equilibrium point are the weights from each other?
first, the equilibrium point will be when the spring is not stretched at all right?(when its cut i mean)
so the displacement is the Xo which is mg/k imo, the initial stretch .
but the displacement of each mass is different? :S so its mg/2k
Am I right?
I'll wait for your answers, If the above is true I think I can solve it using reduced mass :X

well Thank You, waiting for reply.
Dweirdo

Last edited:
Dweirdo said:

NO.

Are you sure? There is displacement from the relaxed un weighted state of the spring.

F = m*g = k*Δx

Δx = m*g/k

If there is displacement then there is potential energy = 1/2*k*x2
Won't that energy cause something to happen?

If g suddenly goes to 0, then won't Δx need to go to 0?

In what way is that all that different from displacing a mass and releasing it?

wait,
when both mass hang on a rope, they are in equilibrium :S no? so there is no displacement from equilibrium.
or did you mean to ask if the spring stretched?
so the equilibrium point changes, thus it's not in equilibrium anymore ,so it should oscillate ? no?
ty

Dweirdo said:
wait,
when both mass hang on a rope, they are in equilibrium :S no? so there is no displacement from equilibrium.
or did you mean to ask if the spring stretched?
so the equilibrium point changes, thus it's not in equilibrium anymore ,so it should oscillate ? no?
ty

Yes it should oscillate.

I expanded what I posted in the previous post a bit, which I guess you missed.

[
LowlyPion said:
Yes it should oscillate.

I expanded what I posted in the previous post a bit, which I guess you missed.

Yes, missed the energy part :}
so it will, ok thanks.
and i treat it as 2 masses on an horizontal table?

Dweirdo said:
Yes, missed the energy part :}
so it will, ok thanks.
and i treat it as 2 masses on an horizontal table?

As to the oscillation itself, yes it should behave the same I would think ... until it hits of course.

Yes of course, I would suspect it would oscillate after hitting the ground XD

Related to 2 masses attached with a spring falling

1. How does the spring affect the motion of the two masses?

The spring acts as a restoring force, pulling the two masses back towards their equilibrium position as they fall. This causes them to oscillate up and down until they eventually come to rest.

2. What factors affect the frequency of oscillation in this system?

The frequency of oscillation is affected by the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the spring, and the gravitational acceleration of the Earth.

3. How does the distance between the two masses affect the motion?

The distance between the masses affects the amplitude of the oscillations. A larger distance will result in larger oscillations, while a smaller distance will result in smaller oscillations.

4. How does the initial position of the masses impact the motion?

The initial position of the masses determines the initial conditions of the system. This will affect the amplitude and phase of the oscillations, but the frequency will remain constant.

5. Can the masses ever reach a state of equilibrium in this system?

Yes, the masses will eventually reach a state of equilibrium where the spring force and the weight of the masses are balanced, causing them to stop oscillating and remain at rest.